Rx300 Won't Start

brandondiem

Well after cleaning the iacv and replacing the TPS and battery, 1 day later my car will not start. The battery terminals are clean and the battery is charged. I do have all lights and dash clock still functioning, they momentarily shut off at turn of the key and come back on. When I turn the key I get just one "Click" from under the hood. I fear this maybe the starter but I have never had a starter issue in the past. I plan on swapping out the battery from my other car to verify that it is not a battery related issue. Any other troubleshooting suggestions before I order up a new starter?

Thanks,

well here is a solution to starter http://www.nationsautoelectric.com/instructions.html , however I would check the connection to it to see if it is loose or the connection to the battery to see if it is corroaded. You may just have a loose connection at either the starter or battery.

Well after cleaning the iacv and replacing the TPS and battery, 1 day later my car will not start. The battery terminals are clean and the battery is charged. I do have all lights and dash clock still functioning, they momentarily shut off at turn of the key and come back on. When I turn the key I get just one "Click" from under the hood. I fear this maybe the starter but I have never had a starter issue in the past. I plan on swapping out the battery from my other car to verify that it is not a battery related issue. Any other troubleshooting suggestions before I order up a new starter?

Thanks,

Obviously, it is too much of a coincidence that the day after a battery change you don't get the car started. I would go back to square one and simple basics.

1. all connections REchecked

2. all hoses connected

3. fuses good? Pull the appropriate fuses out and visually inspect them with a good light source

4. do all of the other car functions work normally?

5. what happens to all of the accessories when you turn the ignition to run (but not start)? Do you get lights, radio, wipers, heater fan, etc? Can you run all of them at the same time? If your new battery is bad, or you left an accessory on and now have a run-down battery, these accessories won't run for long. Can you run ALL of the accessories for five minutes or so with just the battery?

6. what happens when you put a set of jumper cables or battery charger on the car. If you do the charger, let it charge for at least two hours and then try to start the car. If it starts, then you may have a bad battery or left something on.

If you do get it started, remember that the car's alternator is not designed to recharge a dead battery. That is the purpose of a charger. It should charge for 4-6 hours for a dead battery.

Gary

ps, let us know what happens.

• 2 weeks later...
Soooo, did you ever figure this out?

I am still having battery trouble but believe it is because the car is sitting for prolonged periods now. I am getting a charger this weekend to bump up the juice in the battery since the alternator will not fully charge it. I will report back soon.

• 4 years later...

I googled having problems with my Lexus RX 330 starting and this thread popped up. My car wouldn't start after I turned off the engine at the gas station. My boyfriend used jumper cables to jump start the car and we were able to drive it home. The car started later that night and the next morning. We replaced the battery just to be safe and this morning it would not start again. It's really weird and I was wondering if anyone else has had this issue.