Replaced Your Own P/s Pump? Like To Hear From You

Gene

1994 LS400 110K miles. I can get it replaced for around $450 parts and labor which is not bad, I don't think. I can get the pump for a little less than $200. Using knowledge gained from removing the old one is it extremely difficult to replace it with a remanufactured unit? I know there's a lot of topics about P/S pumps but I've not run into layman language instructions about replacement or of anyone who has actually done it themself. I'll appreciate whatever help and advice you may offer. Thanks, Gene

1994 LS400 110K miles. I can get it replaced for around $450 parts and labor which is not bad, I don't think. I can get the pump for a little less than $200. Using knowledge gained from removing the old one is it extremely difficult to replace it with a remanufactured unit? I know there's a lot of topics about P/S pumps but I've not run into layman language instructions about replacement or of anyone who has actually done it themself. I'll appreciate whatever help and advice you may offer. Thanks, Gene

95 LS

Just replaced mine last week. I bought an OEM pump (rebuilt) from EBay for $135.00 shipping, included, I kept my old pump, and I am planning on getting a PS kit to rebuilt mine. I was the only one to bid on this PS PUMP. My mechanic charged me $60.00 to install, but I've know him for a while. The same pump is on EBay right now but after I gave the seller a positive feedback, there have been more bids on this pump. Check it out; it has a few days remaining. From what my mechanic told me it was not hard at all too replaced. However, he did mention that the pump had never been removed and he used a whole lot of A1 in order to break any bolts.

Here's the instructions for a 1995 model.Still the same procedure. You don't have to remove the abs/trac motors. A good set of 17mm wrenches should get around them to get the pressure hose off. I like to put the wrench on the line, by the lower radiator hose and use a long prybar against the subframe to break the line loose, if you can't get it off from the aircleaner area. Use a chisel and hammer and take off the control valve off the rack and pinion first to drain the system and clean the solenoid screen. here's the pdf

powerste.pdf

Very valuable information, Folks, and I thank you. I had to smile about the $135 purchase. I just bid $181 from the same person and was outbid. I didn't feel like going higher because it seems I remember someone selling a remanufactured for around that price. If you do the rebuild thing it should sell for about what you paid. That's pretty good business where one winds up with no investment in the parts and the only cost was their personal labor. Way to go. When one mentions hammer and chisel I begin to worry. That's a good site you recommended. I'll study it thoroughly before I decide which direction to go. Thanks again, Gene