Timing Best

TonyK

I own a lovely 2002 ES300. I have faithfully followed the maintenance schedule. The car now has 82,500 miles. The maintenance book indicates that the timing belt should be replaced at 90,000 miles. I grew up in the old days of timing chains when this never even came up. I am retired and and am not hard on the car. Question: Do I really need to spend the money on a new timing belt or is this just a "recommended" item.

Hey Tony, if I were you and had the means to do so, I would change it. Although when they take the belt off it will probably look nearly new. I jusr recently changed the timing belt on my 95 LS at 113,000 miles. It was the first time it was changed and the belt looked almost as good as the new one i put in. Maybe I was lucky, maybe they last a long time, who knows. The total cost for the parts and labor was under $800 including camshaft seals, water pump, idler bearings, and timing belt. I rather pay a bit upfront as opposed to the belt breaking and ruining the engine. Let us know how it turns out :)