Backing Up Car Makes Sound & Another Problem

mairella

Hi,

2000 es 178k on it...when I go in reverse, and slow down/stop, it sounds like I'm running over something or something is rolling around in the trunk. There's nothing back there, it's like a loud bump. I had a kind of similar issue when turning, it made a loud clicking/bumping sound. Took the car in and my mechanic said the rack and pinion was loose and fixed it.

2nd prob: starting issue. When I start up my car, it makes the car starting sound (I'm a girl) but it sounds very weak. It won't start up if I drive around, and stop for a few minutes, like getting gas/going to store, ect. But if I wait a few more minutes, it'll start up. The other day it wouldn't start but I got a jump and it was fine. BTW, all my lights come on/radio, ect. My BF checked the battery with something he has in the garage and said the battery was fine and the alternator was fine...

help me! Thanks! I think it's about time to retire my dear Crystal but I don't want to!!

You have alot of mileage on that car. So what your going to start running into is all the "rubber" joints and ends are starteing to dry rot. Like at the ends of the shocks, tie rod ends, etc. etc. It happens to everyone. If your going to hold on to the car, maybe start thinking about replacing parts a little at a time. Maybe do the front 2 shocks and then the back 2 later.

The electrical issue sounds like a battery going bad. Maybe you just have cell that is fried. The battery can still produce 12 volts which is what is required to run the radio and lights etc. But the cold cranking amps are what start the car. And once it's started the battery does little anymore as the alternator runs everything. Some auto stores will test the battery for you to make sure.

And 178k is no reason to have to retire the car. You can get alot more miles out of it if you want to. You will just have some maintenance costs now. But even those are still cheaper than a car payment.....