Es 350 Vs. Bmw

detaildoc

Ok, so back in June of this year I decided to do a major upgrade. I went from my 1995 Honda Civic to an ES 350, and I have to tell you all, I am loving this car. Going for a Lexus however, was not really my first choice, my first choice was the BMW 5 or 3 series (which are very popular in Southern California). I test drove both of them. The BMW 3 series was just way too small, so I test drove the 5 series. I have to say, I was very dissapointed with both series. Although the 5 series has a very cool exterior, the interior just screamed economy sedan with a few semi luxury additions. These cars just don't have any luxury or comfort and the interior is just too plain. Although they handle very well, I felt the drive was very hard and tight, which after a long drive to and back from work in So Cal traffic, I can imagine feeling very tired. I was not willing to pay $55K for the 528i given the hard drive and lack of luxury and comfort, just not worth it. So very dissapointed after my test drive I decided to go next door to Lexus, and wow, what a difference. I love the luxury and comfort of this vehicle. It is the best, most quite, comfortable, easy, soft drive ever. Guess what, my coworkers who have a BMW, are amazed by the luxury of my Es and the quite comfortable drive. Oh, by the way, I heard that the supposed free maintenance that comes with BMW's for the first 4 years, is not really free. They estimate the cost of parts and labor and add it to the sticker price (several thousands). So that means, that the BMW 5 series really costs around the same as a Lexus, you are just paying for the maintenance in advance, so for those people who think that BMWs are better cars because they are more expensive, think again, you are paying more for less comfort and less luxury. In addition, if you read any of the latests reviews such as Consumer Report, you will see that Lexus are more reliable vehicles.

I just got a ES350 and as a former BMW owner I will say I miss my BMW. Bimmers just drive better. The Lexus though is much nicer on the inside than any BMW I ever had (and is the major reason I purchased it). I also agree that bimmers are not for long driving trips, my back would kill after any trip longer than 50miles. I dont think Lexus has converted me but my wife has fallen in love with it.

Hey beergut, from a purely driving enthusiast, your are right. When I chose the ES over the BMW (and to almost equal the space and engine, etc, I had to go to a 5 Series), I chose comfort and value (read lesser price for the features) over the driving around corners, etc. The BMW can take corners better than any other car I drove (and I test drove Cadillacs, Infinitis, Acuras, Mercedes). Wow what a feeling. However, I just didn't want to go that way....but you have a great point. In the end it is really what you like; cornering or comfort on longer trips! I am also hoping that the reliability is better in the Lexus. I had mixed messages on that; some BMW owners told me good things, others told me not so good things....?