Phone Is Beeing. Need To Disable. Help?

vv1981

Hey guys... i have a 97 LS400.

The phone that came with the car was always beeping when it was on (i think it had some notifications on it that couldnt be cleared), however i could always silence it by turning the phone off on the handset.

a while ago the phone started doing things on its own... it would randomly turn on and turn off, pick up the line, hang up... etc. it was making a lot of noise and the female voice telling me how to activate my phone would randomly start talking as i'm driving along. i would turn it off, but it would turn itself back on shortly after. crazy...

I disconnected the cable leading into the handset (and that has completely killed the handset), however i still get a long beep when i turn on the car and short ones every 5 minutes or so as im driving. I tried messing around with the fuse box and finding a fuse specifically for the phone, but no luck.

how do i completely disable the phone and stop it from beeping? has anyone had this problem before?

thank you all for your help.

The search feature of this forum would have led you to past threads on how to solve your problem.

But you are new here so we won't be too hard on you.

Find the phone ECU in the trunk and disconnect all the cables from it. It is probably under a removable floor panel on the right or left side of the trunk. I'm not sure about your model year but on later model year dealer installed Lexus phones, there are two large connectors that need to be plugged into each other after you detach them from the phone ECU in the trunk.

You said that you disconnected the handset. Does that mean you partically disassembled the center console so you could unplug the cable from the connector under the vents you see when the armrest is raised? If not, then do so.

Avoid cutting any wires! That can lead to more serious problems.

It should be OK to leave the command module on the steering wheel in place.

I've seen several posts on Lexus forums from other Canadians looking for these old phone systems. Apparently analog service is going to be available longer in rural Canada than in the U.S.

Great, thank you very much for your help. I'll use search in the future.

I disconnected the cable going into the handset, by opening the handset and disconnecting the wire. it could be reconnected again, nothing has been cut or destroyed. I didnt disassemble the console, just the handset, then put it back together.