Thule Roof Box

DwayneJ

Does anyone have a recommedation for a specific model Thule roof box which will work well with the RX400H? I do not want to purchase anything too large. I was looking at the Ascent 1500 15cu or the Spirit 16cu??

Thanks!

I think the roof rack has a 75lb weight limit, probably more against increasing the potential for rollover vs mechanical strength.

• 9 months later...
Does anyone have a recommedation for a specific model Thule roof box which will work well with the RX400H? I do not want to purchase anything too large. I was looking at the Ascent 1500 15cu or the Spirit 16cu??

Thanks!

I think the roof rack has a 75lb weight limit, probably more against increasing the potential for rollover vs mechanical strength.

The 2005 RX330 Manual states that the roof rack can support 75kg (165 Lbs)... Which is good...

My Thule Atlantis 1600 fits perfectly and the box itself is about 35-40lbs, which leaves about 120lbs of cargo possible.

My recommendation isn't to max out the weight you put in the top of the car, or you may be looking out the drivers side window and seeing the ground close-up. Making the vehicle too top heavy is never a good idea.

I use my cargo carrier for trips. Usually baby stuff (strollers, chairs, shelters, etc. go up there.). Heavy suitcases and other items definitely stay in the cargo area inside the SUV. I want as much weight as possible low in the vehicle if I'm loading up the thule box on top.

Think of a rack top cargo box as a place to put bulky items.. not heavy ones.. and you'll be ok.

If you want another heavy storage area, get one of the Thule trailer hitch mounted boxes. They work extremely well on these light trucks. (especially since the trailer hitch on these things really can't tow much.)

My opinion, worth 2 cents.

-Chris330

Thanks!

The 2005 RX330 Manual states that the roof rack can support 75kg (165 Lbs)... Which is good...

My Thule Atlantis 1600 fits perfectly and the box itself is about 35-40lbs, which leaves about 120lbs of cargo possible.

My recommendation isn't to max out the weight you put in the top of the car, or you may be looking out the drivers side window and seeing the ground close-up. Making the vehicle too top heavy is never a good idea.

I use my cargo carrier for trips. Usually baby stuff (strollers, chairs, shelters, etc. go up there.). Heavy suitcases and other items definitely stay in the cargo area inside the SUV. I want as much weight as possible low in the vehicle if I'm loading up the thule box on top.

Think of a rack top cargo box as a place to put bulky items.. not heavy ones.. and you'll be ok.

If you want another heavy storage area, get one of the Thule trailer hitch mounted boxes.

Yes, but all means, put the HEAVY load out beyond, behind, the rear axle, bumper even, that will only result, WORSEN, the potential for loss of directional control on a vehicle already highly subject to same, FWD, F/AWD understearing/plowing.

They work extremely well on these light trucks. (especially since the trailer hitch on these things really can't tow much.)

-Chris330

I'll give you a penny for the good advice, heavy low loading with light Thule roof loading, but with-hold the second penny for the POOR rear loading advice.

I agree the hitch mounted boxes are a good way to go, but not for really heavy stuff (for truly heavy stuff, one should get a little trailer)... they're great for more bulky things or dirty things, like an old lawnmower or something. I'll give half the penny Wwest with-held :P

Thanks!

If you want another heavy storage area, get one of the Thule trailer hitch mounted boxes.

Yes, but all means, put the HEAVY load out beyond, behind, the rear axle, bumper even, that will only result, WORSEN, the potential for loss of directional control on a vehicle already highly subject to same, FWD, F/AWD understearing/plowing.

They work extremely well on these light trucks. (especially since the trailer hitch on these things really can't tow much.)

-Chris330

I'll give you a penny for the good advice, heavy low loading with light Thule roof loading, but with-hold the second penny for the POOR rear loading advice.

Oh sure... you and your wife probably only weight 250lbs together... me and 'shewhomustbeobeyed' tip the scales together at 600, so we're just equalizing the load...

:chairshot:

img1104bf3.jpg

Image of the Thule Atlantis 1600 on my 2005 Rx330

It is positioned so that the rear gate doesn't impact when opened.

Note: I had to remove the rubber filler pieces that blocked the forward crossbar from moving forward -- Anyone know why Lexus puts those filler pieces in there? Wind Noise? Removing them allowed the crossbars to separate up to 26" which is a better than the minum 24" for this cargo box. The front crossbar clicked into place solidly, so I know that it's suposed to move forward into that space.

Other facts for those also interested in this box:

Wind noise is low but noticable vs. the box not being there -- it has to be forward to clear the rear hatch.

Haven't done an mpg test yet -- most of my driving is city, not highway -- will report back after july trips to south carolina.

Height on car: about 6' 10.5" just an inch or more under 7 feet. Which is the framed opening of my garage.

I had to adjust my opener to lift the garage door up higher and out of the way. Since my Genie opener didn't have enough screwdrive track length to move the door up and back out of the way far enough, I cut a 2" x 12" at 12" and used it as a mount point for the track to move it away from the door another 1.5" -- just enough to clear the top of the door frame. I won't ride with this beast on my RX all of the time, but when I do, I want to be able to park it inside...

• 2 years later...