I Know I'm A Idiot.... Regarding Paint/fabric Protection And Lojac

jstmike

First off, hi I'm new to this forum and just got a IS250 last week. Love the car with all the gadgets.

Anyways last Sunday we were 7 hours at the dealership and it was 9 pm on a Sunday before we got out of there and without anything but cookies and water to eat. Maybe that is why I did it but we got the Fabric/Paint protection and paid $988 for it plus I got LoJack for $795.

So we pick up the car the next night and going over it with the sales guy and I take some water and drip it on the front mat and it stayed on top then I did the carpet and it soaked in and then the trunk mat and it soaked in. Then I run my hand over the paint and it is rough and picks up black dirt or dust but looks clean.

I'm a little upset at this point and the sales guy says in his 15 years of selling he has never seen anyone test the fabric protection and that they will take care of it and have it redone.

First off I don't think that most people test it and would this be considered consumer fraud?

I also said well if they didn't do the fabric/ paint protection how do I know that LoJack is installed and working. They said I can't see it for our protection and they can't test it because they would have to file a police missing car report.

So I told them that I want a refund for the fabric/paint and either show me the LoJack device or remove it and refund me that too. The sales guy on Friday said that I'll be getting a call from their PR person.

What do you guys think? Is the fabric/paint more than just a can of Scotchgard and a wax job? I'm sure it isn't worth $988.

First off, hi I'm new to this forum and just got a IS250 last week. Love the car with all the gadgets.

Anyways last Sunday we were 7 hours at the dealership and it was 9 pm on a Sunday before we got out of there and without anything but cookies and water to eat. Maybe that is why I did it but we got the Fabric/Paint protection and paid $988 for it plus I got LoJack for $795.

So we pick up the car the next night and going over it with the sales guy and I take some water and drip it on the front mat and it stayed on top then I did the carpet and it soaked in and then the trunk mat and it soaked in. Then I run my hand over the paint and it is rough and picks up black dirt or dust but looks clean.

I'm a little upset at this point and the sales guy says in his 15 years of selling he has never seen anyone test the fabric protection and that they will take car of it and have it redone.

First off I don't think that most people do test it and would this be considered consumer fraud?

I also said well if they didn't do the fabric/ paint protection how do I know that LoJack is installed and working. They said I can't see it for our protection and they can't test it because they would have to file a police missing car report.

So I told them that I want a refund for the fabric/paint and either show me the LoJack device or remove it and refund me that too. The sales guy on Friday said that I'll be getting a call from their PR person.

What do you guys think? Is the fabric/paint more than just a can of Scotchgard and a wax job? I'm sure it isn't worth $988.

If you can get the refund for the fabric and paint protection, do it. And don't give up until they do. Those are such a rip off. The fact that anyone can look you in the eye and tell you that there is some "secret process" and chemical conconction that you can't do yourself for under a hundred bucks deserves the plaid salesman suites they wear!!!!

Here's a few things to consider. Scotchgaurd is sold everywhere, for what 6 bucks a can? It has it's pro's and cons. It does help repel water, but it uses a wax parafin to do it. That's what holds the liquid up. But the bad part is that it attracts dirt. Dirt particles actually cling to it and that is 80% of your normal use problem. Unless you spill coffe and soda in your car regularly.

It doesn't last that long either, maybe a few weeks at most, as stepping on it and vacumming it will break down the barrier. I have actually found that the water repellant spray for shoes and jackets and such works better and lasts longer with fewer dirt attraction problems.

There are two, and only two, forms of protection: carnauba waxes and paint sealants. Car Waxes are the traditional, natural, time tested form of protection for cars; paint sealants are newer to the scene—chemically formulated to do the same thing as a car wax.

What's the difference? Carnauba car wax produces an enviable deep, wet healthy shine that you can't attain with a sealant. However, car waxes have a melting point that is easily reached in very warm climates, have limited longevity (eight to twelve weeks), and are typically more difficult to apply and buff off than paint sealants. Paint sealants are formulated to mimic the level of depth and wetness that a good car wax produces, but just a select few can even come close, in my opinion. On the other hand, today's paint sealants (the quality ones) last six to eight months(!), and will not melt, wash off or wear away.Wolfgang, Klasse, Collinite, and maybe a few other. Even these are at most 35 bucks a bottle and will cover your car 4 or 5 times.

Thanks for the reply smooth1.

What do people think about the LoJack? Do you think I'm being unreasonable here wanting to either see it or have it refunded? To me it is like a sales person selling you a silent home security device that you can't see, test or see if it is working and if your house gets robed and if the police don't come to your house then you will get a partial refund for the device that was or wasn't even installed in the first place.

I would go to Lojack.com or call Lojack directly and just confirm registration. If it's registered, then it's done.

I would go to Lojack.com or call Lojack directly and just confirm registration. If it's registered, then it's done.

Agreed. When a business manager sells a lojack they will always call it in to the company in order to receive a spiff / bonus for its sale as well as schedule the install. If Lojack shows no record of the install and sale then there are grounds for concern.

In regard to the fabric protection and paint protection you are correct that it is not worth anything near $900. Frankly, it is largely a gimmic. You would be hard pressed to prove any fraud in its install. Because the carpet absorbs water is likely not actionable in regard to the law. If you can get any form of refund that is your best bet. They made a fortune off those two items alone in regard to costs so see what you can get refunded.

And here are some lojack costs from an earlier post: ClickHere

Hth.

After faxing a 3 page letter to the dealer I got a call from the sales manager and we worked out a deal. They will give me a full refund for the fabric/paint protection ($988+tax) and they will install the XM Radio the sales guy said was in there when we went for a test drive as long as we are happy with them and don't give them negative comments on the survey. He was thinking that there would be no use in making a deal if we were still going to trash them on the survey. Oh, I talked with our local police department and they do have some patrol cars with the LoJack tracking devices and they said it was a good idea to have but said that Lexus isn't on their hot cars list. So I guess I'm happy with that too. I really do love my IS250 and I just found the TSIB about the brake dust replacement pads. So I might have them put those on at the same time.

I'm glad that worked out for you jstmike. No matter what you bought a great car. The IS is just a perfect blend of sport and luxury.

Now you can take that grand you saved and start modifying that ride!!!!! It just another IS until you make it your own you know.049.gif