Alternator 1990 Ls400 Gen I

glenmore

Does anyone bother rebuilding an alternator or do you just get a rebuilt one?

I have removed mine and I am guessing the failure is due to worn brushes. No sign of the dreaded leaking P/S fluid killing it. Bearing seems fine. From the manual, the brushes seem fairly easy to get to, but I've never seen this part available at the online shops.

The problem started with all sorts of idiot staying on after startup. Lo oil, lo coolant, lo brake fluid, etc. I checked a few of them and the levels were fine and stopped there. Of course the discharging battery light was for real and soon the car would not start. A new battery started the car I but still had all the idiot lights and the real one showing a discharging battery.

A rebuilt alternator is just $55 (with core) around these parts.

Thanks,

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280

Does anyone bother rebuilding an alternator or do you just get a rebuilt one?

I have removed mine and I am guessing the failure is due to worn brushes. No sign of the dreaded leaking P/S fluid killing it. Bearing seems fine. From the manual, the brushes seem fairly easy to get to, but I've never seen this part available at the online shops.

The problem started with all sorts of idiot staying on after startup. Lo oil, lo coolant, lo brake fluid, etc. I checked a few of them and the levels were fine and stopped there. Of course the discharging battery light was for real and soon the car would not start. A new battery started the car I but still had all the idiot lights and the real one showing a discharging battery.

A rebuilt alternator is just $55 (with core) around these parts.

Thanks,

glenmore

1990 LS400

1991 300CE

2000 C280

When I removed the alternator from my 92 LS due to failure it turned out that the PS leak had absolutely nothing to do with the failure. And the slip ring brushes had LOTS of life left, it was the slip rings themselves that were worn down to the steel metal shaft. Slip ring material too soft.