How To Reset Average Mpg

Does anyone know how to reset the average gas mileage (mpg) on the dash display? Specifically, the data display that shows the mpg since the car was new, not the current mpg that can vary from moment to moment.

I don't have the GPS screen and tried holding down the INFO button for 1 second, then several seconds, and no change. That is the only technique that I can find in the manual.

If it resets when the battery is disconnected at least that is one method. Of course, that causes several other things to have to be reset as well.

Thanks to anyone with a hint.

Does anyone know how to reset the average gas mileage (mpg) on the dash display? Specifically, the data display that shows the mpg since the car was new, not the current mpg that can vary from moment to moment.

I don't have the GPS screen and tried holding down the INFO button for 1 second, then several seconds, and no change. That is the only technique that I can find in the manual.

If it resets when the battery is disconnected at least that is one method. Of course, that causes several other things to have to be reset as well.

You're doing it right, just hold it a little longer, maybe. Display the avg mpg on the center dash display, hold the Info button down, and it resets to zero.

Average MPG resets each time you fill up. I don't think there is a way to reset between fuel stops except for the battery disconnect you suggest.

When I topped off my fuel today (only a couple gallons), the average MPG number didn't reset. Everything else did, like the crusing range, etc. Is this a malfunction, or does this only reset when the tank is more empty, and more fuel is added, like in a normal fill-up?

Just wondering..

I don't think the average mpg can be reset without removing/disconnecting the battery. There is nothing in the manual that suggests a way to do it that I can find. That is why the question was originally asked.

Pushing/holding the INFO button or filling up the gas tank doesn't reset the average mpg on my 08 RX350.

Anyone else out there have a suggestion?

It is not something that can't be lived with but now that the car has been broken in the average mpg might have changed. It is like getting a "F" in school in that it takes forever to get the gpa back up and it never really fully recovers.

• 3 weeks later...

OK, finally took the two seconds it takes to figure out resetting the average mpg.

Technique:

1. Let the fuel get low.

2. Get fuel.

3. Watch the average mpg setting go to 0.0 after about 50 yards of driving.

:P

OK, finally took the two seconds it takes to figure out resetting the average mpg.

Technique:

1. Let the fuel get low.

2. Get fuel.

3. Watch the average mpg setting go to 0.0 after about 50 yards of driving.

:P

The key here is #1. "let the fuel get low" The real question is what is 'low'? As I mentioned above, one time mine did not reset after topping off with about 4 gals of fuel; but has always reset after adding more than about 5-6 gals.

• 14 years later...