Ls 400 (1994 Ucf10-ii) Check Engine Light

jakubkrcma

Hi all!

I have a MAJOR problem with my 1994 Lexus LS 400. But the solution IMHO should be simple.

I was travelling the other day and (in the worst possible situation - at the crossroads) the engine suddenly died. I really nearly got crashed into by the oncoming cars as I was turning left from a main road to a, well, secondary road.

All systems in the car work (lights, CD changer, seat movement, windows, mirrors, air conditioning, etc.).

For some time before the engine failure already, the TRC light was often on when I turned on the key in the ignition box. It stayed on. But as soon as I simply turned the key off and on again, the TRC light was gone.

But now it's the check engine light. It should be lit once the key is on until the engine actually starts.

But the engine does not start. Somehow, after about two hours of trying, the light "miraculously" appeared upon turning the key on (but not to the starting position) on about three separate ocassions and then the engine actually always started (when the check engine light was not dim) but it could not hold idle and died (it was running OK at higher revs - smooth, no strange sounds, no unusual smoke, etc. - until I let off the throttle pedal thinking everything was alright).

So, the starter is FINE, the engine is FINE, the battery is FINE, etc.

Has to be some (probably minor but crucial) electrical glitch - I suspect the ignition box (where you insert the key to start the engine) or the related cables/wires.

Has anyone experienced something similar or does anyone know the cause of the problem and the subsequent solution?

A factory service manual pdf collection would be great (I have the zillion workshop PDF files for the 1995-2000 LS 400, but a LOT (nearly all) of the electrical stuff is located/wired more or less differently there).

Thanks VERY much in advance,

J.