Using Rx350 To Transport Dogs?

RX4Me

As you can tell by my questions, I am seriously considering purchasing a 2006-08 RX350 AWD. I would like to know if anyone uses their RX to transport mid-large sized dogs? Is this the "right" suv for this purpose? I have 2 mid-sized (lab-like) dogs desperately wanting to accompany me when doing chores :D

Any feedback would be appreciated.

We have two large dogs (a very tall, very long, heavily-muscled 95-pound male Greyhound and a medium-sized 60-pound female Gordon Setter) as well as a small dog (a 25-pound male English Cocker Spaniel). The only one of our dogs that is truly comfortable in his crate in the back of my wife's RX for any length of time is the English Cocker Spaniel. Our Greyhound is far too tall for the cargo area and his crate will not even fit through the hatch, so when we have to transport him in that vehicle we must put blankets down on the cargo floor and transport him without using a crate which we consider to be extremely risky because in an accident any uncrated dog becomes a projectile and is far more likely to be seriously injured or killed than a dog which is crated. Our Greyhound doesn't like riding in any vehicle and he becomes much more agitated when he has to ride without being crated. Our Gordon Setter's crate just barely fits through the rear hatch but it takes some manuevering to get it properly situated so other luggage or needed supplies can also make the trip without crowding her in her crate. She doesn't mind car rides but always prefers to ride in her crate.

Large dogs in their crates really need a decent-sized SUV to be truly comfortable and secure for any length of time, and the RX series is just too small for that. We've had many large dogs during the past 25 years and various SUVs to haul them to dog shows in during those same 25 years, and we know from experience that larger SUVs are the way to go. We don't do dog shows anymore (it was her hobby, not mine, so I was more than ready to dump that activity) so we don't drive our dogs nearly as far or nearly as often now. To take all three of them somewhere at the same time, all in their crates, would probably require a van. We never do that so no van has been necessary in our household.

I never feel comfortable when our dogs are riding uncrated, regardless of the size of the vehicle. Too many bad things can happen if you are unfortunate enough to be involved in even a minor traffic accident. If you don't transport your dogs in crates, I highly encourage you to look into it. Much, much safer for the dogs as well as the people in the vehicle....