Es300

I hope someone has some decent advice - My girls ES300 has been garaged for the last 4-months, I attempted to start not too long ago and discovered it would not turn over. I thought battery due to the length of time, I lifted the hood only to realize a rodent of some type had effectively chewed/frayed many of the wires coming the a small metal box in the left front of the engine compartment (if facing the car). A couple of other wires were chewed in half, those went to a device in line with the coolant flow (I thought possibly temp sensor of some sorts, but didn't know for sure).

What are my options? I cannot see myself outside attempting to splice wires that I have no clue about and get the idea that rewiring the entire car will be costly. Has anyone ever experienced something like this before?

It has been a great car but I don't want to spend more than it is worth. 1999 ES300 - approx. 142k miles.

Thanks.

Kevin

Hello, anyone home? I realize my question is not as glamorous as, lets say, a cup holder replacement/clean ;) but if anyone has any input or has had to have a car electrical harness installed I would appreciate some feedback. Just want/need to know if I am considering the correct option(s).

Dont Feel Bad , About a 2 years ago , a groundhog decided to go on a eating spree on my lexus and a new Colbolt (didnt even have 300 miles on it). The insurance Co. Replaced the wiring Harness in the Colbolt . It got to a bit of wires , and unfortunately you just cant replace the bad wires . They had to replace the whole main wiring . As for the Lexus , Had my mechanic splice the wires as it would Cos to much for a wire harness and didnt want to put in 2 claims with the insurance co. If your GF has Full Coverage , As many wires as you have chewed , I would put in a Claim because your repair will not be Cheap. Thank goodness the ground hog only liked the pwersteering wire and altenator wire on the Lexus.

• 3 weeks later...

The damage will cost in the neighborhood of $3,300 to replace the wiring harness. Dealer said both of the main electrical harnesses were completely chewed in half. I would not know if he is telling the truth or not, maybe the insurance man can determine.

No call back from insurance but they did have a classification for Non-Collision Animal Damage, I guess once they get a look at the car, speak with the service writer, all should go well although I never trust any insurance company 100%. You can pay premiums for 10 years never filing a claim but as soon as you file one they drop you. :censored: LOL!

The damage will cost in the neighborhood of $3,300 to replace the wiring harness. Dealer said both of the main electrical harnesses were completely chewed in half. I would not know if he is telling the truth or not, maybe the insurance man can determine.

No call back from insurance but they did have a classification for Non-Collision Animal Damage, I guess once they get a look at the car, speak with the service writer, all should go well although I never trust any insurance company 100%. You can pay premiums for 10 years never filing a claim but as soon as you file one they drop you. :censored: LOL!

Sorry to hear that man. Unfortunately, it sounds pretty bad if the insurance company decides to hold out on you. I'd hope that they won't give you any trouble. Her premium is going to skyrocket though. Trust me.....I had the rear of my car repaired and it cost about $800 after I collided with a uncooperating mailbox. :whistles: My annual premium went up about $200 and I don't know when it's going back down. :cries: On any car (especially a Lexus), I would be scared to splice together any important wires. That is scary work.

Why'd she have the car garaged for 4 months?