Changing oil yourself

leong1

Does anyone change oil by yourself on a 2002 rx300?

I have not yet, but will probably try. Two questions:

1. The oil well plug takes an allen wrench it seems. Anyone

know the exact size (ie. so I can buy the right one)?

2. The oil filter seems totally inaccessible. Anyone know how

they get at it?

I'm just used to changing oil on my cars myself, that's all. Thanks.

• 2 months later...

I change the oil on my 99 RX300 and over time have developed a system that works fairly well.After driving up on ramps I will let the car cool down a bit.The exhaust manifold gets extremely hot and I still have the marks from early oil changes to prove it.I also recommend a set of mechanics gloves or silicone gloves from a car parts store.And most important of all a filter cap that fits over the oil filter.After removing the belly pan I can access the filter from undeneath the car. Using a 3/8's drive socket wrench attached to the filter cap I can,with some effort, reach the filter under the exhaust manifold.Be careful as you will see a fair amount of oil leak from the filter housing as you unscrew the filter.Replacing the filter is quite a bit easier and you can use the filter cap to tighten the filter according to the manufacturer.I also have a more traditional oil drain bolt so I'm afraid I can't help you on that subject.I believe the Lexus service dept should be able to give you size information.Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Bill:

Nice info on the oil change. I'm also thinking about doing it myself. I've got 10500 miles on my 2002 RX300 AWD and i'm due for a service. i'm thinking about using full synthetic oil, do you think that's a good idea? Btw, how many bottles of oil does this car need? and do you replace the oil pan bolt ring as well?

Thanks in advance!

mars

BTW, what's the size on the filter cap?