Code 12 And No Spark

Chaotic1

i acquired a 1992 lexus SC400 from a friend. the car is worn aggressively but it has potential. the code i am getting is 12 from the computer and no spark from both coils. i have a mitchell1 manual which covers everything pretty comprehensively but i would like to get my hands on those books put out by lexus. im getting just about batt voltage at the coils when the ignition is on, but no spark. checked both cam position sensors and the speed sensor, sensor plates - check, cleanliness - check, and all three are around 1153 ohms. i believe it was getting spark before i changed the starter but im not sure if its an intermittent thing. one thing i havent checked is for continuity between the ecu and the sensors. whats the procedure to expose the engine/trans ecu and does anyone have suggestions as to what to do??

Jarrod Mello

ok, found it.

the procedure as as follows:

simply remove the passenger side kick panel. the pull back the carpet (you might need to remove the trim) and there is a plastic cover. remove two retaining bolts on the bottom of the cover and there it is!

got spark, and subsequently got it running but it has other problems which i will let you know as i conquer them.

Jarrod Mello

i acquired a 1992 lexus SC400 from a friend. the car is worn aggressively but it has potential. the code i am getting is 12 from the computer and no spark from both coils. i have a mitchell1 manual which covers everything pretty comprehensively but i would like to get my hands on those books put out by lexus. im getting just about batt voltage at the coils when the ignition is on, but no spark. checked both cam position sensors and the speed sensor, sensor plates - check, cleanliness - check, and all three are around 1153 ohms. i believe it was getting spark before i changed the starter but im not sure if its an intermittent thing. one thing i havent checked is for continuity between the ecu and the sensors. whats the procedure to expose the engine/trans ecu and does anyone have suggestions as to what to do??

Jarrod Mello

Jarrod Mello

• 4 months later...

So - what ended up being the culprit. I'm having a similar problem. But when I check the voltage between the two wires leading going in to the coils, one reads 6V and the other nothing. But when I check against the battery ground, I get 12V from both sides... Should I try grounding to the battery and see if it will start?

• 3 weeks later...

hey bro i just had a quick question how did u pull the engine code? beside useing the ob1 scanner tool.

Jarrod Mello