Recommended Maintenance

fedo

As earlier mentioned, I am in the process of purchasing a '92 Lexus SC300 with 36,000 miles. The reason for the low mileage is that the car was kept and used at a vacation home.

Based on the fact that the car sat for long periods of time, what do you recommend I have done to it when I take possession?

Thanks for your help

As earlier mentioned, I am in the process of purchasing a '92 Lexus SC300 with 36,000 miles. The reason for the low mileage is that the car was kept and used at a vacation home.

Based on the fact that the car sat for long periods of time, what do you recommend I have done to it when I take possession?

Thanks for your help

Drive it slow... take care of it and watch out for leaks. I bought a 93 sc300 under similar conditions... I was a young 20 year old (now im 24... seems like i aged 20 years in maturity though... lol) and kept the pedal to the floor. Naturally the seals and gaskets went first, which then led to a lot of other problems. I wont go too deep into it, but just watch out for it. In my situation, the seals and gaskets (which happened to be paper like... ?) sort of "dry rotted" to describe it best. Guess that happens when a car sits for 4 years in a warehouse? Then with all the heat i created with my reckless driving habits, they came apart and it seems like i was a part of the beverly hillbillies striking oil. The engine should be mint, along with the tranny if its the auto. Well with 36K miles a manual should be too but whatever. If the car wasnt covered or stored indoors, watch out for leaks and worn weather striping, and if the vacation home was near an ocean or salt body of water, watch for rust in the exhaust and in those hard to see places. You should be able to enjoy an amazing car that i know most of us would kill for though.

Happy Hunting.