2007 Navi Vs. 2006

Does anyone know if there is some sort of upgrade that can make the 2006 navigation screen look like the 2007 one? The '06 looks like a granite background with the words etched into it. I don't even know how to describe the '07, other than BEAUTIFUL! I updated the DVD, stupidly thinking the 6.1 would do the trick...not! Any ideas? I can't imagine there's that much difference but I can imagine there is a different chip or other expensive piece to the puzzle that might not be available to the average citizen. It would be cool if there were some hidden switch to change it over.

• 3 weeks later...
Does anyone know if there is some sort of upgrade that can make the 2006 navigation screen look like the 2007 one? The '06 looks like a granite background with the words etched into it. I don't even know how to describe the '07, other than BEAUTIFUL! I updated the DVD, stupidly thinking the 6.1 would do the trick...not! Any ideas? I can't imagine there's that much difference but I can imagine there is a different chip or other expensive piece to the puzzle that might not be available to the average citizen. It would be cool if there were some hidden switch to change it over.

Have you looked at an 06 Nav screen on another car? Does it look the same?

Is it possible that the screen has a hardware failure on the display?

• 3 weeks later...
He just means the resolution is different. Although the 06 nav is nice, the 07 nav is even nicer.

That's exactly right. My NAV works great and looks exactly how Lexus wanted it to look, pre-'07 model year. I just made a mistake and test-drove an '07 vehicle. Now, I feel like my NAV is substandard. I'd really love to also see some 3D graphics the likes of Garmin, et al. That shouldn't be too hard to do when powered by DVD technology. Heck, Nissan commercials appear to show NAV in 3D. What's up with that? Even though, I'd definitely settle for the '07 look, which even permeates through the audio display and all others...very sweet. I was one year too early!

• 2 weeks later...
Im also looking for an upgrade from the 06 to the 07 navi...PLEASE post if you find ANY upgrades...also, any tips on upgrading from the original navigation dvd to a newer version with upgraded streets (looking for a free solution)?

I did a little bit of digging on this earlier. I was hoping that I'd be able to replace just the screen with a higher resolution one for a few hundred dollars. Apparently that's not the case - the connectors for the screen to the rest of the navi hardware are different between 06 and 07 (i.e. you can't just buy an 07 screen and plug it into your 06 hardware). That said, the only other option I found was to replace the entire navi unit (which comes as a single piece, including the screen and all the buttons around it). I don't remember for sure, but I think the dealer quoted me something like 4K or 6K for it (at that point I didn't pay much attention to the number). You may be able to trade in your 06 system for the 07 system, but that may still set you back 2K...

I certainly would like to have a nicer high res screen, but I don't want to pay 2K for it!! Also, I'm not sure if any of the computers functions have changed from 06 to 07 (such as radio or climate controls). If they have, there's always the risk that they may not work with the older 06 stuff...

If anyone else has better/more accurate information on this, please do share!

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know if updating the DVD on an 06 to the new 'maps'...will close the 'work around' finger punch (Menu...volume...top lt/bottom lt/top lt/bottom lt...override)? I know that the O7's closed that loophole...and don't know if upgrading the DVD would do the same.