Major Problem When Shifting In Gear

LexChamp

I am hoping to GOD this is not a MAJOR PROBLEM to my LS. Engine light on, it was diagnosed with a possible Faulty Catalytic Converter, but I don’t thin this is the problem.

I have not driven the car for a few days; I am in the process of changing spark plugs and wires. The car was riding with a minor imperfection, it would hesitate when pressing on the gas and it seemed to be misfiring. Reason why I will be changing the Wires and Plugs.

Today after not driving the car for a few days this just happened. Started the car, put it in drive ad drove a few yards. Then I put it in reverse, press the gas and to my surprise the car did not move. I press the gas a couple more times with no luck than all of the sudden the engaged and started going backwards.

I drove the car back and forth and every time I would put it in reverse, it would do the same thing. After putting the car I reverse, it takes a few seconds before gear engages. It also does it when the car is in drive.

Like I said I am hoping this is not a major problem. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Most likely it is not the transmission, my guess would be electronic. I haven't really ever heard of a Lexus transmission failure. Maybe put an OBD2 on it and see if anything has changed. Doesn't seem like the cats would cause this problem but a damaged or disconnected senosr wire might. Just a guess.

I am hoping to GOD this is not a MAJOR PROBLEM to my LS. Engine light on, it was diagnosed with a possible Faulty Catalytic Converter, but I don’t thin this is the problem.

I have not driven the car for a few days; I am in the process of changing spark plugs and wires. The car was riding with a minor imperfection, it would hesitate when pressing on the gas and it seemed to be misfiring. Reason why I will be changing the Wires and Plugs.

Today after not driving the car for a few days this just happened. Started the car, put it in drive ad drove a few yards. Then I put it in reverse, press the gas and to my surprise the car did not move. I press the gas a couple more times with no luck than all of the sudden the engaged and started going backwards.

I drove the car back and forth and every time I would put it in reverse, it would do the same thing. After putting the car I reverse, it takes a few seconds before gear engages. It also does it when the car is in drive.

Like I said I am hoping this is not a major problem. Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

"..it would hesitate when pressing on the gas and seemed to be misfiring.

Forget the plugs and wires and concentrate on replacing or adjusting the crankshaft position sensor.

"misfiring..." triggering ignition at the wrong point...poor or intermittent sensor output.

"to my surprise the car did not move..." Absent a reliable input sensor source of actual engine speed the transmission will NOT shift into ANY drive gear. The transmission ECU "thinks" the engine is turning too far below idle and would be likely to stall with a shift into a drive gear.