Newbie Questions

TheDeep

Hi, I got a 2007 GX. Thinking about doing basic maintenance on it, including oil changes. Looking for some basic info:

1. What repair/service manual do you guys use? Download it from www.techinfo.toyota.com ?

2. Where do you buy the oil filter - dealer?

3. Any special tools that need to be bought for routine maintenance?

TIA

I bought a CD of the factory service manual off ebay. This is very useful to have - tells you how to do every procedure.

I buy oil filters online. Most Toyota online dealers will sell a V8 oil filter for around $3-4. While you are at it, might as well

buy a cabin air filter, engine air filter, wiper inserts, and gaskets for the oil drain plug and other plugs (f/r differential drain/fill plugs

transfer case drain/fill plugs). Most parts are interchangeable with the 4runner.

No special tools other than regular mechanic tools you can get from Sears.

I would do a search on all the 4runner boards and 4runner web sites. The 2UZ-FE engine is common across a lot of Toyota trucks,

so there is a lot of info out there on how to DIY most things. Not a whole lot of info specific to GX DIYs because most GX owners

are not going to do their own oil change.

Here's a good write up on an oil change (there's another one on clublexus too):

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/showthread.p...ight=oil+change

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info. Unfortunately for me, one of the splash guard bolts was overtorqued so badly that I just couldn't get it off. My 12" wrench slipped a few times, ultimately stripping the head. Tried vice grip pliers, went to Sears to buy sockets for stripped nuts.....to no avail. The bolt is pretty much disintegrated and I'm disgusted beyond belief. I'll take it to the dealer....*argh*

• 9 years later...