Annoying Rattle In Rear Gone!

In California the highways are in terrible shape. Every time a pothole or bump would be gone over at speed an annoying clicking sound would come from somewhere in or around the cargo area of my 08 RX350.

I tried putting foam self-adhesive weather stripping under and around all of the tire changing tools, jack, and anything else that could possibly move. The automatic clips on the luggage cover were even dampened. Nothing seemed to help.

Then I noticed a small, spring-loaded plastic door where the rear door catch attaches when closed. Some weather stripping was put on top of it in case it was slapping against the catch. No help!

As a last gasp effort, weather stripping was put under the little door in case the door was hitting on the frame by the bumper. Problem solved! It has worked for a week over the same roads and hitting the same bumps. Apparently the spring on the little door is a bit too light to keep it from flopping.

Hope this helps anyone with a similar phobia of rattles in a brand new car. ;)

In California the highways are in terrible shape. Every time a pothole or bump would be gone over at speed an annoying clicking sound would come from somewhere in or around the cargo area of my 08 RX350.

I tried putting foam self-adhesive weather stripping under and around all of the tire changing tools, jack, and anything else that could possibly move. The automatic clips on the luggage cover were even dampened. Nothing seemed to help.

Then I noticed a small, spring-loaded plastic door where the rear door catch attaches when closed. Some weather stripping was put on top of it in case it was slapping against the catch. No help!

As a last gasp effort, weather stripping was put under the little door in case the door was hitting on the frame by the bumper. Problem solved! It has worked for a week over the same roads and hitting the same bumps. Apparently the spring on the little door is a bit too light to keep it from flopping.

Hope this helps anyone with a similar phobia of rattles in a brand new car. ;)

Sounds like an excellent fix! Could you post a picture or 2 to better describe what you did?

• 6 months later...