Seafoam In The Crankcase

tmastres

Ok folks I know Seafoam has been discussed in this forum (and others) before and I've pored through most of what was said and I still can't seem to get a clear answer to the question of whether or not Seafoam should be put in with your oil.

I did the seafom deal this past weekend including putting half a bottle into the gas tank (about 9-10 gal of gas in it) and half into the crank case. After talking with a few peopl eI trust both on this board and off I got the distinct impression that this wasn't such a good idea. now I've put about 30 miles on my RX since I did this and will probably put another 30 on by the time I can get the oil out (if I need to) so thats where I'm at.

Some of the things written make sense and some dont (just to me) so I'm calling on the collective wisdom here to see I can come to a consensus on whether to dump the oil very soon or leave it in for another 2k or so of the normal OCI.

Some of the concerns raised were dilution of the oil, bits of sludge being loosened and then redeposited (if the oil isnt changed very soon), and the lubricatioal properties of the oil being lessened causing more than normal wear (again if it isnt changed soon).

Now 8oz added to 128+ oz of oil doesnt seem like its going to dilute it all that severely and checking the oil both hot and cold it doesnt seem particularly thinner than normal (to the touch) and I'd think the oil filter would catch a lot of the particulate that was loosened (dont think simple hot oil going through the filter would be enough to get back into solution). Of course the feel of the oil doesnt tell the whole story and it may well be compromised lubricationally, guess it would need an oil analysis to tell for sure. Also there was a theory that the Seafoam would simply boil away eventually, sounds plausible but I don't know

A lot of folks simply say they wouldnt do it, kinda of an instinctual gut feeling thing, dont mess with the oil, sounds logical and I trust these opinions but why then would Seafoam say its OK and certainly there should be a trail of cautionary tales ot there form those who did?

So thats why I'm asking: What do you think about putting Seafom in the crankcase and why??

I've used seafoam in all situations as intended, aka...gas, intake and crankcase. I would not recommend driving around with it in your oil though, but rather put a cup in right before the oil change... let the car simply idle for about 20 minutes or so.....turn it off and let it sit for about an hour "so all oil can drip into the pan". Then drain it, but don't put the plug back in just yet. This part in my opinion is very important.... sacrafice a quart or two of new oil, pour it in from the top, and let it drain out from the bottom. You'll be amazed at how much black gunk oil is still sitting in your pan. The fresh oil will flush it out. Then, once you have clean oil coming out of the pan, close her up, change the filter, and fill her up.

I love seafoam. It's done great things for my car. In the crank case, it smoothed out the idle, and is still silky smooth. I haven't done it in the past 10k miles, yet it's still super smooth and quiet. In the intake, it returned the pep factor to the car. So much so that I had to readjust the throttle cable setting back to normal, I was getting too much kick. In the gas tank, it's been ok. The only thing I noticed was the car seemed a little rougher while the seafoam was going through the system. But on the next full tank, it was great.

I guess to answer your question.... I would make sure when you change your oil that you have let the car sit long enough for it all to drain into the pan, and sacrafice a quart or two to flush out the pan. Don't drive around with it in there. Not a good idea to put the engine under load with it in.

If you were to look at where I put the oil into the engine, you'll see where the seafoam has gone in, as there is a definete clean trail. It ate away the varnish and gunk as it when in.

I will say this, do not get sucked into the BITOG site pimping products; the site is amazing.

I love when "someone" says ARX is not solvant based. Well boys, it is "Lanolino ester" from what the MSDS. That's nothing more than a fancy name for WOOL ALCOHOL.

Lord Wool alcohol is made from Methyl Alcohol, AKA solvant.

This is from "Toysrme " here; one smart guy on this forum. I agree 100% and Frank said ZERO, nothing, nata , zero on this post on BITOG...Go figure.

I will say this, do not get sucked into the BITOG site pimping products; the site is amazing.

I love when "someone" says ARX is not solvant based. Well boys, it is "Lanolino ester" from what the MSDS. That's nothing more than a fancy name for WOOL ALCOHOL.

Lord Wool alcohol is made from Methyl Alcohol, AKA solvant.

This is from "Toysrme " here; one smart guy on this forum. I agree 100% and Frank said ZERO, nothing, nata , zero on this post on BITOG...Go figure.

I'd have to agree, I made this same post over there, just so I could get the widest variety of responses and while I certainly appreciate the various opinions I got aout a half-dozen recommendations for various other products. I ended up more confused than when I began.

In any case, the Seafoam and oil are coming out this weekend after about 100 miles of all types of driving, Well see if I notice anything interesting. Thanks for all the info.