Another Long Trip In My Ls 400

GKLCPA

Well, I just took another long trip in my LS. This was a 1600 mile round trip journey. I'll be taking another really long trip in September of about 4000 miles.

This is an amazing vehicle on the highway. My combined mpg averaged about 26 mpg. On stretches of the trip, I was getting 30 mpg-----and I rarely used the cruise control. I consider that astounding for a car that's nearly 4000 lbs with a V-8. How the Lexus engineers pulled this off is just simply amazing.

The second thing is the ride, comfort and power delivery. This machine does not tire or fatigue you. After driving that distance, I was actually disappointed to see the excursion end. In any other car, one is generally happy to get the trip over with. Not so with the LS 400.

This is simply the best vehicle that one can get. A well cared for used LS is the best bargain in used cars available. My car is an 11 year old vehicle that drives like new. For all practical purposes, it might as well be new because it only has 66k miles on it.

Before I take my 4000 mile trip, I'm thinking about changing the timing belt and water pump even though I'm not at the 90K mile interval. (I'm beyond the recommended time interval). With the miles I'm putting on, I'll be doing it in six months anyway. What do you guys think about doing this service early?

changing timing belt and water pump at the same time is a wise idea, but at this mileage it's a little too early, IMHO. By the time your LS reach beyond 200,000 miles (and it most certainly will, it's a Lexus afterall) you'll need to worry about changing the timing belt again. I'd wait until slightly past 90,000 miles before doing the maintenance.

P.S. I'm rather envious about your road trip! I really needed a vacation, have been doing graduate research all summer :wacko: and didn't get much of a break. :unsure:

Well, I'd definitely prefer to wait, but based on the miles I'm putting on, I'll be doing that TB in about 6 months anyway. If I wasn't taking the trip, I wouldn't be overly concerned. I guess I can always just have it checked, although I'm not sure that they can check the water pump without a tear down of the engine.

I can imagine graduate school at Lehigh is no cakewalk. I've not had much of a break myself, so I was glad to get the car on the road for a bit. I've always found highway driving relaxing anyway, but the LS makes this a real treat

changing timing belt and water pump at the same time is a wise idea, but at this mileage it's a little too early, IMHO. By the time your LS reach beyond 200,000 miles (and it most certainly will, it's a Lexus afterall) you'll need to worry about changing the timing belt again. I'd wait until slightly past 90,000 miles before doing the maintenance.

P.S. I'm rather envious about your road trip! I really needed a vacation, have been doing graduate research all summer :wacko: and didn't get much of a break. :unsure:

I recently took a 500 mile trip in my 98 LS and found myself wanting to go past my exit just so I didnt have to depart my beloved Lexus....weird, I know. I have actually thought about sleeping in the rear seat some night (might be the best "dog house" around if the frau gets ticked at me). Anyway, this is the most 'additve' car I have ever owned. I really cant explain it but its so darn well engineered and built that its love at first drive. Its been 3 months and I am still in love and wondering when the honeymoon will end.

On the TB issue, I would be hesitant to rip into any major work just before a long trip unless you have at least a month to test drive. I have done what I thought were minor tune-ups just before a trip only to find that I had made some stupid mistake and I am now hundreds of miles from home. So, go ahead if you have the time for testing but I wouldnt fret the time-age factor, especially if you have been faithful in oil changes and the engine has not been abused(overheated, hard service, etc). I have 64k on my Lex and not planning to change the belt for a few more years.

I recently took a 500 mile trip in my 98 LS and found myself wanting to go past my exit just so I didnt have to depart my beloved Lexus....weird, I know. I have actually thought about sleeping in the rear seat some night (might be the best "dog house" around if the frau gets ticked at me). Anyway, this is the most 'additve' car I have ever owned. I really cant explain it but its so darn well engineered and built that its love at first drive. Its been 3 months and I am still in love and wondering when the honeymoon will end.

On the TB issue, I would be hesitant to rip into any major work just before a long trip unless you have at least a month to test drive. I have done what I thought were minor tune-ups just before a trip only to find that I had made some stupid mistake and I am now hundreds of miles from home. So, go ahead if you have the time for testing but I wouldnt fret the time-age factor, especially if you have been faithful in oil changes and the engine has not been abused(overheated, hard service, etc). I have 64k on my Lex and not planning to change the belt for a few more years.

the honeymoon won't ever end. :D

LOL....you're like me when it comes to my LS. I've had it nearly a year and the honeymoon is still not over. At this point, I doubt it will ever end.

Sage advice on major work prior to a trip without the opportunity to test. I'd hate to be a couple of thousand miles away from home with an issue. I do a lot of driving and I'm going to have nearly 90K miles on this car within the next six months, so my dilemma is spending the money six months early or just waiting. Of course, "far money" is better than "near money" when one is paying , so I'd definitely would prefer to wait, but I'm worried about being in the middle of nowhere with the water pump going out. I'm probably worried about something that I need not be concerned about