Iacv Replacement - Preventative Measures?

I have replaced my iacv valve 2 times since I owned my 98 lexus es300, i think. I'm not knowledgeable about cars, but I've had a problem where i start my car, then the rpm will just drop and the car would shut off. The first time i took it to the dealer, they said i needed to replace a valve or something that cost me $400. About a year later or so, the same thing starts to happen but this time i just ignore it and just pump on my gas pedal as soon as i start my car to get it to stay on. Finally one day my car wouldn't stay on so i had to get it towed and the lexus dealer says i need to replace the iacv valve which cost me $500.

My question is, is there something I can do to prevent this from happening every year? I searched the forums and know this is a common problem with my model/year and saw ways to replace the part/clean the part myself. But honestly, I looked under the hood and I just don't think i can do it. Can I use some sort of engine cleaner or fuel additive that I just pour somewhere? Please shower me with some automotive wisdom...

Thank you!

I have replaced my iacv valve 2 times since I owned my 98 lexus es300, i think. I'm not knowledgeable about cars, but I've had a problem where i start my car, then the rpm will just drop and the car would shut off. The first time i took it to the dealer, they said i needed to replace a valve or something that cost me $400. About a year later or so, the same thing starts to happen but this time i just ignore it and just pump on my gas pedal as soon as i start my car to get it to stay on. Finally one day my car wouldn't stay on so i had to get it towed and the lexus dealer says i need to replace the iacv valve which cost me $500.

My question is, is there something I can do to prevent this from happening every year? I searched the forums and know this is a common problem with my model/year and saw ways to replace the part/clean the part myself. But honestly, I looked under the hood and I just don't think i can do it. Can I use some sort of engine cleaner or fuel additive that I just pour somewhere? Please shower me with some automotive wisdom...

Thank you!

Your first step should be to go to an auto parts store and buy a manual for your car. My manual by Haynes was $17 from Autozone and worth every penny. It's actually a Camry/Solara/ES300 manual. The manual describes most procedures and includes photos, so it makes it easy. Even if you end up not doing the job yourself, you'll at least have more knowledge about what someone else does. As I recall, the only way to correct the IACV problem is by cleaning it by hand. If after reading the manual you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself, you should look into finding an independent service center or a Toyota dealer to work on your car. There's really nothing unique about a Lexus.