1999 Gs300 Steering

My 1999 GS300 has begun to make a very loud creaking noise in front end. At first I thought it was a suspension/shock issue. However having looked, and listened, a little closer, it seems to be related to the steering system. When ever I turn my wheel, either way, there is a loud creaking noise (loud enough that other drivers could hear it!) that seems to be coming from the general area around where the steering column meets the rack. I added some lubricant but this does not appear to have reduced the problem Noise is loudest when car is stopped and I turn the wheel to left or right. Any thoughts. Vehicle has about 117k miles and is still driving well at higher speeds even with this noise. No shuddering or vibrations are noticeable - steering is slightly heavier than i have noticed previously. Would appreciate input on this. Thanks

I would recommend you have your lower ball joints checked. Often as they wear, they can add a weighted feeling to the steering. They are also likely to cause a loud, metallic scraping sound. While you have it on a lift, it would be a good time to check the rest of the suspension as well.