Hazmat?

I just talked to a friend who asked me to ask y'all about the hybrid's battery. She was told that if a hybrid gets into an accident which "violates the integrity of the battery" that a hazardous material team has to be called ou to clean up the toxic mess.

Anybody know anything about this? :blink:

I just talked to a friend who asked me to ask y'all about the hybrid's battery. She was told that if a hybrid gets into an accident which "violates the integrity of the battery" that a hazardous material team has to be called ou to clean up the toxic mess.

Anybody know anything about this? :blink:

oh brother . . . isn't it funny that if lead acid batteries spill, or diesel fuel spills, or gasoline spills ... and hazmat has to clean it up, that it's not worth thinking about? :D

Nevertheless, yes, if the solid material managed to theoreticly get smeared onto the roads, folks wouldn't want the stuff going into the storm drains leading to the oceans. It's been written about ad nausium (the search tool is a wonderful thing!) ... just like the clap trap about batteries in electric cars catching fire. Funny too, the same 'naysayer' folks don't get as concerned about the 150 pounds of liquid explosive in their gas tank :lol:

I also heard that if your tires are burning in a fire that you shouldn't breathe in the smoke and that you should call a special team of people,firefighters, to put them (and the rest of the car) out. Don't try to put out a tire fire out by yourself. Rey

My all time favorite:

The nickel in the metal hydride batteries is, "Poisoning the earth at the Suffolk mine, where nickel is extracted". Thus Hybrids are destroying the earth.

1) The mine was opened nearly a hundred years ago (and what industry was concerned about pollution back then?! :wacko: ... but after the clean water act legislation went into effect back in the 60's, they, like all other industries cleaned up).

2) Only a tiny percentage of nickel mining goes into use for batteries. NMH batteries have only been around for a couple decades. Ever heard of stainless flatwear? You knives & forks may have caused more damage to the environment.

Isn't it great that nay sayers will spew that kind of dribble? Say it on the web, though, and it becomes gospel truth.

Never mix bleach and amonia to clean any part of a hybrid vehicle.....I think what happens is people become paranoid of new technologies. The fact is is that we have an amazing vehicle that not everyone can afford so they get uptight about it and start climing all sorts of silly new urban myths about the "negative" aspects of the technology....maybe the batteries are made in Thailand by underaged poor kids with cleft palates?...hmmm, I wonder by merely mentioning this it'll become another internet "fact", ey? Rey