Sulpher Smell

seatown7

I just bought a 2003 GX with 49,000 miles on it. It is super clean and I love it! Except...I have the dealer getting the "clunk" fixed and doing some great "red carpet" warranty stuff on other things they found like a loose trim piece and a door seal that they found was coming loose. I just had a "sulpher smell" moment tonight coming uphill that I've never encountered before and wondered what experience others have had getting this problem fixed with their dealer. I know it has to do with the catalytic converter but don't know if I can get it fixed with my soon to expire warranty.

Thanks,

Bill

The dealer will tell you that the smell is not their fault.

They have/had a bulletin that advised the customer to switch to a different brand of gasoline.

Worked on mine.

Had the fix,didn't take care of the smell ,then I switched the gas, using a higher octance and it's fine , had nothing after 1 year of switching ,

I agree with the above replies regarding the sulfur stink. Usually it is cheap gas from obscure refineries that causes the odor. Let the present gas get low and then run a few tanks of high quality gas and deduce if the odor goes away. A new catalytic converter or a gas additive may contribute to or cause the problem.

Do a Google search using "gasoline exhaust sulfur odor" to get several results worth investigating.

On the other hand, maybe someone in the area has eaten too many hard boiled eggs. :D :blink: