Can't Open Front Ashtray

I searched the site regarding ashtray, it tells me how to pull the ashtray out. My problem is the ashtray will not open when you push on it. the springs are not broken, because when you push the face of the ashtray, it bounce back alittle, but it will not open at all. :chairshot: I have a 00 LS400. Don't know if something is blocking it from the back.

The other day I had the parking brakes on, gear shifter in park, and the engine off, I was stepping on the brake pedal when I heard a tapping noise just under the shift console, it would occur each time I stepped on the brake pedal. you can also see a little movement of the console as I stepped on the brake pedal. No it does not happen now, My ashtray wil not open. :censored: any Ideas? Thanks and Happy 4th of July

I searched the site regarding ashtray, it tells me how to pull the ashtray out. My problem is the ashtray will not open when you push on it. the springs are not broken, because when you push the face of the ashtray, it bounce back alittle, but it will not open at all. :chairshot: I have a 00 LS400. Don't know if something is blocking it from the back.

The other day I had the parking brakes on, gear shifter in park, and the engine off, I was stepping on the brake pedal when I heard a tapping noise just under the shift console, it would occur each time I stepped on the brake pedal. you can also see a little movement of the console as I stepped on the brake pedal. No it does not happen now, My ashtray wil not open. :censored: any Ideas? Thanks and Happy 4th of July

i believe that tapping noise is the mechanism that allows the shifter to move out of park (you must have the brake pressed in order to allow this). as for the ashtray, if you are pushing firmly at the top center and still nothing, i would suggest you taking a flat-head screwdriver and popping off the wood trim, from the back, near the cupholder, working your way up until it pops right off. you may then have some more access to look at your ashtray. this is very easy to do, and there are several threads showing how. i believe you search for ashtray removal or cigarette lighter removal and you should get the link. good luck!

Thanks for your suggestion. I have found my problem after one week. it was bugging the sh-t out of me. I took a putty knife, and slid it inbetween the top of the ashtray door. pushed down on this metal object that I saw, the ashtray door opened. to my surprise :wub: the cigarette lighter was upside down in its receptical. my ashtray door is now functioning correctly! :cheers::cheers: