Blue Smoke From Exhust

i just bought my 01 es 300. i did oil change and now there is blue smoke come from the exhust. any idea why i checked the oil it's good. thanks

more info, need mileage...

does it do it only on startup? until the engine is warm? or all the time?

i just bought my 01 es 300. i did oil change and now there is blue smoke come from the exhust. any idea why i checked the oil it's good. thanks

the car has 52000 miles, the smoke is there for about 3-5seconds its baby bluish in color and only appears when the car is cold or has been sitting for a couple of hours.

the car has 52000 miles, the smoke is there for about 3-5seconds its baby bluish in color and only appears when the car is cold or has been sitting for a couple of hours.

I think it might be just excessive carbon buildup or it could be entirely normal...try using Seafoam in you engine. For your year and mileage i highly doubt you have much, if any wear on your valvetrain or piston rings, which usually cause blue smoke. if the seafoam does not work (do a search on "seafoam") then i suggest you take it to a qualified mechanic in your area...

also, you could have a friend stand behind your car while you rev the engine and see if the smoke gets worse as the engine speeds up...

these types of problems are really hard to diagnose over the internet, hence my reccomendation for a mechanic...if i sat here and said anything more than i have, i would either confuse myself, you or just totally waste your time. :)

Thanks for the replay guys.

The smoke doesn't get worse if you push the gas, it only smokes blue when the engine is cold. I don't know whats wrong with this damn thing, i mean the car has only 52K miles. I got a oil change yesterday with Mobil 1 Full-Synethic 5w-30 oil, well it went away from a day but its back again. I should have stayed with Honda's. :(

Typically valvestem seals. But Army is right, alittle more information would be helpful.

Toysrme is right! I have this same problem when first start up. TLC toyota Lexus independent here in San diego Ca. with replace sterm valve seals for $500.00. I had read this topic before check it out!Click here

• 3 months later...
Typically valvestem seals. But Army is right, alittle more information would be helpful.

Toysrme is right! I have this same problem when first start up. TLC toyota Lexus independent here in San diego Ca. with replace sterm valve seals for $500.00. I had read this topic before check it out!Click here

On the older LS400's at least, there is a valve of some kind (I forget what it is called) attached to the PS pump that helps with power steering at low rpm's (idle). When this valve fails, it allows some PS fluid into the intake, causing blue smoke at (and only at) startup. My 91 had this problem. I replaced the valve (about $70 if I recall). Problem solved.

my 2000 es300 did the same at 99,000 miles after an oil change. Lexus finally gave me a new engine.

Engine Change for Free? I am the second owner, do I qualify for an engine replacement too?