Engine Sound Like It Wants To Turn Over But Won't Start

Shorephan

My 2000 RX300 has been running fine. Shut it off and ran into the store. Got back into and tried to start it and it wouldn't start.. Then engine was turning, lights were working but it just would't start!!??? Any ideas..................... :wacko:

My '02 did that tonight and I just bought it today! Had to leave it at my friend's house. Anyone have any thoughts? I was so excited - it's such a great vehicle. Longtime Toyota driver, sis, thinks it could be a security issue - could I have hit some button on the key or the dash that disallows the ignition to engage? Or maybe I left the back hatch open. I'll just have to try it again tomorrow. But if it doesn't start, I'll have it towed or carried back to the dealership on Monday. What choice do I have ???

My 2000 RX300 has been running fine. Shut it off and ran into the store. Got back into and tried to start it and it wouldn't start.. Then engine was turning, lights were working but it just would't start!!??? Any ideas.....................:wacko:

First observe the security light to the left of the steering column. It should be flashing before you insert the key. Once you turn the key to the on position the flashing should stop. If it continues to flash, the engine imobilizer is not allowing the engine to start. If so, try a spare key or disconnect the battery for a few minutes and try again.

If it's not the security light thing try pushing on the accelerator when starting. If this gets it going it is most likely the Idle Air Control Valve which needs cleaning. Do a search here for "IACV", "starting issues", or "idle air control valve" for lots of info.