Consumer Reports (july) Ranks Rx 350 First!

(I started a thread like this on another board which ended up morphing into a "Consumer Reports" BASHING discussion. Howze about if we leave that SIDE issue alone here? Let's declare it a DEAD HORSE.)

In a comparo of "Luxury Suvs," the RX350 comes out ahead of the MDX, SRX, X5 and MKX. The only vehicles rated higher are the 400h and Highlander Hybrid.

HIGHS: Ride, quietness, acceleration, access, fuel economy, fit and finish, reliability.

LOWS: Lacks agility.

Notable (to me) highlights on the Performance/Specs/Safety page are the best gas mileage (19 overall) AND acceleration (0-60 = 7.3 secs.: gotta luv that new 3.5 V6), braking, and curb weight.

However, they ALWAYS hammer the low beam headlights; "Low-beam HID headlights did not reach very far; but high beams were very good, with excellent intensity."

Are they really that bad? As a potential buyer, this is an issue for me with my 58 year-old eyes, one of which has a cataract.

(I started a thread like this on another board which ended up morphing into a "Consumer Reports" BASHING discussion. Howze about if we leave that SIDE issue alone here? Let's declare it a DEAD HORSE.)

In a comparo of "Luxury Suvs," the RX350 comes out ahead of the MDX, SRX, X5 and MKX. The only vehicles rated higher are the 400h and Highlander Hybrid.

HIGHS: Ride, quietness, acceleration, access, fuel economy, fit and finish, reliability.

Notable (to me) highlights on the Performance/Specs/Safety page are the best gas mileage (19 overall) AND acceleration (0-60 = 7.3 secs.: gotta luv that new 3.5 V6), braking, and curb weight.

However, they ALWAYS hammer the low beam headlights; "Low-beam HID headlights did not reach very far; but high beams were very good, with excellent intensity."

Are they really that bad? As a potential buyer, this is an issue for me with my 58 year-old eyes, one of which has a cataract.

We have a 2007 RX, and I haven't noticed the low-beam headlights being a problem (or even given them a second thought) for my 58 year old eyes (no cataracts, but lots of floaters!). Oftentimes, I think car reviewers feel they have to find a 'con' to report - particularly when they have so many 'pros'. We have had our FWD car for five months with zero problems.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an 08 RX350 with the HID lights and the only thing I see is they take some getting use to. There is a clear line at the top of were the light shines but the lights are very good. My 58 year old eyes can see very well.

We have a 2007 RX, and I haven't noticed the low-beam headlights being a problem (or even given them a second thought) for my 58 year old eyes (no cataracts, but lots of floaters!). Oftentimes, I think car reviewers feel they have to find a 'con' to report - particularly when they have so many 'pros'. We have had our FWD car for five months with zero problems.

Hmmm...

Why no comparison with/against the Acura RDX with the SH-AWD system, IMMHO opinion that would have much more of a "squeaker", possibly with the RDX coming out on top.

HID....

Over the years the HID's have become more efficient and substantially brighter than when first widely introduced. That has resulted in more and more complaints of/by approaching drivers of being blinded by oncoming vehicles equipped with (very recognisable) HID headlamps. Additionally this "problem" has very likely been exacerbated by the availablity of aftermarket systems that do not self-level or are simply aimed too high by the owner/installer.

In any case an easy solution is to disassemble the HID headlamp and modify the upward beam shading cutoff so it has a "progressive" cutoff rather than a sharp transition from light to DARK. For instance I used a dremel tool and a small drill and drilled a series of small holes in the shading cutoff apperture, fewer and more widespread holes as I moved farther and farther away from the shading edge. Must like you might see at the top of you windshield as a "progressive" sunshade.

I've been driving an 07 RX 350 loaner from the dealer for a few days and have to say that it is really one sweet vehicle. I've always loved my RX 300, but this one is really spoiling me.