The Story Is About Nissan Smart Keys But I Wonder If Lexus Could Be Af

The good news is that we don't have smart keys for our 400hs! :cheers:

I agree, I like things the way they are but some people are complaining that if the Prius has the smart key and other Lexus models such as the GS450H have the smart key the RX400H will probably be next.

The good news is that we don't have smart keys for our 400hs! :cheers:

Kinda curious. Why is it good news that a 'Luxury' SUV uses the same 60+ year old ignition switch technology? . . . I mean really . . . a mechanical spring loaded ignition? Sheesh.

Part of the beauty of the smart FOB is its integrated ignition disabling feature (a key switch is way easier to defeat), where you don't even have to take it out of your pocket to enter the car, or start it. And if you DO leave it in the car, it can't be locked in the car (unless you go through a convoluted process to deliberatly lock it in) . . . so if Lexus wants to tout itself as forward thinking / leading edge, I'd think that they'd WANT to already have it . . . at least as an option, if not standard. I won't buy another 400h until it DOES have smart entry / ignition.

The potential for cell phone (or any other radio modulated signal for that matter) interference is printed in all smart FOB literature in the manual. We've had our Prius since '04. So Mr. Late breaking news story Journalist is about three years late with his news flash.

:P

The good news is that I don't have to worry about this potential irritation. I guess not having any other vehicle with keyless ignition means I don't miss it in the RX. However, I can make a large list of things I think the "perfect" vehicle should have, including Heads Up Display, which I have in my Corvette. Very few vehicles have this feature, yet I love it. In fact, every time I drive the RX, I keep looking for speed, oil level, etc displayed 20 feet above the road in front of me.

So you see, we can all submit lists of things the RX doesn't have; hopefully, some of them will be included in future Lexus RXs. However, I for one, would still buy another RX without my beloved HUD. The other high-tech features more than make up for its absence, IMO.

The good news is that I don't have to worry about this potential irritation. I guess not having any other vehicle with keyless ignition means I don't miss it in the RX. However, I can make a large list of things I think the "perfect" vehicle should have, including Heads Up Display, which I have in my Corvette. Very few vehicles have this feature, yet I love it. In fact, every time I drive the RX, I keep looking for speed, oil level, etc displayed 20 feet above the road in front of me.

So you see, we can all submit lists of things the RX doesn't have; hopefully, some of them will be included in future Lexus RXs. However, I for one, would still buy another RX without my beloved HUD. The other high-tech features more than make up for its absence, IMO.

I agree with you Lexus can't make a car with every gadget we want, some people want two sun visors while others want Sirius radio included. They can't give us everything it they did we wouldn't be able to afford it and there wouldn't be any room for the driver if they tried to stuff in every gadget you can think of.. I loved the HUD in my friends 99 Vette I had a 98 Vette and the HUD didn't come out till 99. I drove my friends 99 and loved it but that doesn't mean that I was unhappy with my 98 because it didn't have a HUD and my friends did. My 98 would automatically open the door when you walked up to the car but they did away with that in 99 so in life you gain a little and lose a little. As far as I am concerned the RX400H is as close to perfect as you can get

By the way a few years ago I sold the 98 Vette and bought a 62 numbers matching F/I Vette, I went from a car with every bell and whistle to a car with an AM signal seeking radio and power windows as the only modern options.

I hear you.

I had a 68 convertible for almost 22 years. The only option it had was the 327-350 HP engine and removable hardtop. So in reverse of what you did, I went from nothing to everything when I bought my 01 coupe. However, when it was time to get my son a car, I bought a simple, 97 Civic CX with manual windows and steering. Its only option is AC. Maybe he'll appreciate luxuries when he buys his own car, some day!

You can take comfort in the fact that there have been NO reported cased of the supposed RFI (radio frequency interference) that Toyota/Lexus warns about. In fact, a typical cel phone only puts out about 250 miliwatts. That's virtually NO RFI. I run a ham radio that put out over 200 times that much power (100 watts ... now THAT'S RFI !!) and have never seen any interference effect ... and that's typical. The only gripe (if you can even consider this a gripe) has been if you're standing real close to the car, the system may still think the fob is in the car, and won't let you lock it. Solution: Quit leaning on the car when you lock it :lol:

Count your blessings that you've never had the smart fob. Man o man, I have yet to talk to anyone who'd prefer to go back to mechanical keys, once they've used a smart fob. As for more gizmos in our cars? If you want more display info, try the CAN-VIEW (do a google search). It wont be heads up, but it'll turn your MFD into one major source of info. More data than ought to be legally allowed :D

I've seen the sterio removed and swapped out for one of those DVD sterio aftermarket devices. That way, the CAN-VIEW screen will display on the DVD screen, while you still have access to the MFD. TWO data screens ~ for sensory overload ;)

edit:

whoops!

Probably should of put an example link ;

http://www.hybridinterfaces.ca/graphics.html