Refinish Wheel Caps And Emblem -- Any Recomendation?

Emerlin

Hi All,

My 96LS wheels have seen better days. I would like make them look new again without breaking the bank. I searched and read about painting the emblem with gold Testors paint like from a hobby store. Seems like a good idea.

But what about the chrome center caps? I am not sure how they got that way in the first place (like that since I bought it). Can they be repainted? I searched on the bay but did not find any replacements. I am sure the are huge $$ from the dealer.

I have enclosed some pictures to show how bad they are. Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations please pass them along.

Thanks!

Tom

post-31796-1180047035_thumb.jpg

post-31796-1180047056_thumb.jpg

Hi All,

My 96LS wheels have seen better days. I would like make them look new again without breaking the bank. I searched and read about painting the emblem with gold Testors paint like from a hobby store. Seems like a good idea.

But what about the chrome center caps? I am not sure how they got that way in the first place (like that since I bought it). Can they be repainted? I searched on the bay but did not find any replacements. I am sure the are huge $$ from the dealer.

I have enclosed some pictures to show how bad they are. Anyone have any thoughts or recommendations please pass them along.

Thanks!

Tom

post-31796-1180047035_thumb.jpg

post-31796-1180047056_thumb.jpg

The silver colored plastic can be repainted with spray paint for a near-perfect match. I have the can at home I used and will post it---I also owe someone some engine mount data.

After you pop out the cap you'll notice on the back there is a bead of hard glue holding the "L" on. Carefully remove the bead without breaking the plastic clip that holds the L to the cap. The L then will pop off with care. I broke 1 of the 4, but it cannot be seen when put back on. Once the L is off, prep the surface. If you take your time and use really fine grit sandpaper, the finish will look the best. Basically you want to achieve a smooth surface. Use your spray paint according to can's directions. Use 2 coats for best finish. Paint the Ls however you want; I didn't as mine are silver colored and were fine. Allow all to dry, reattach. Now, I saw no need for replacing the glue as the Ls snapped back in securely but certainly, some hot glue or epoxy on the back of the cap at the clip point will ensure they never come off.

The match to my 93's wheels is amazingly close. I feel certain the paint was made to match common wheel color; it is that close. Again, I'll get the paint # and other info when I remember to log in at home :) .

Total fix is less than $3 and maybe an hour and a half of time.

Sorry so late replying.

The paint is Rust-oleum Metallic (from front of can). The label on the back shows 7271 SILVER METALLIC.

YMMV but it is very, very close on my wheels.

There's a photo on the front showing a car wheel among other things.

Good luck!

Matt

Steel wool also works well for cleaning this stuff. The new paints are amazing and will do a great job IF you prep properly. I guess it is the Wisconsin winters that tear them up as my 90 wheels are still like new.