Transmission Fluid For 95 Ls400

tofu

Need some suggestion before flushing my 95 LS400 transmission fluid.

Can I use the TYPE T-IV transmission fluid from Toyota for my 95 LS400? I think the owner's manual said different type of fluid...

Don't know if this will help, but my 91 Repair Manual indicates (also added the entire "drain" procedure):

REPLACE AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION FLUID

a) Remove the drain plug and drain the fluid.

B) Reinstall the drain plug securely.

c) With the engine “OFF”, add new fluid through the dipstick tube.

Fluid: ATF Type T–II or equivalent

Drain and refill capacity (Reference): 2.0 liters (2.1 US qts, 1.8 Imp. qts)

d) Start the engine and shift the selector into all positions

from “R” through “L”, and then shift into “P” position.

e) With the engine idling, check the fluid level. Add fluid up to the “COOL”

level on the dipstick.

f) Check that the fluid level is in the “HOT” range at the normal operating

temperature (70–8°5C or 158–176°F) and add as necessary.

NOTICE: Do not overfill.

yes, that is the type of fluid you should use, the Toyota Type IV. It replaced the Type II from way back in the day. I use it exclusively, and my tranny shifts flawlessly. I would be cautious of the "flush" since she's a dozen years old, and maybe do the "drain n' fill" instead. Drain and fill is just that, you drain out the 2 quarts from the pan's plug "it stops coming out at 2 quarts". put the plug back in, pour two quarts in through the tube in the engine bay, and off ya' go. If you suspect the fluid is in really bad shape, I would do this about every 100-150 miles for the next 1,000 miles. It's very easy to do. The "flush" can be a bit harsh on the seals sometimes. The drain n' fill is more gentle, and lets the new fluid's detergents clean the parts. The tranny holds like 7 quarts, but you only get 2 from the pan. After about the 4th drain n' fill, your fluid should look brand spankin' new, and the car will be shifting perfectly. You'll notice a difference from the 1st drain n' fill, and it just keeps getting better from there. Once you're good to go, I would recommend the drain n' fill every other oil change, or 6-7000 miles. Ive been doing this for the past couple of years, and have 110% confidence in my tranny. It's silky smooth. Buy a case of the fluid from your TOYOTA dealer for like $50 bucks, and you should be good for at least a year+.

yes, that is the type of fluid you should use, the Toyota Type IV. It replaced the Type II from way back in the day. I use it exclusively, and my tranny shifts flawlessly. I would be cautious of the "flush" since she's a dozen years old, and maybe do the "drain n' fill" instead. Drain and fill is just that, you drain out the 2 quarts from the pan's plug "it stops coming out at 2 quarts". put the plug back in, pour two quarts in through the tube in the engine bay, and off ya' go. If you suspect the fluid is in really bad shape, I would do this about every 100-150 miles for the next 1,000 miles. It's very easy to do. The "flush" can be a bit harsh on the seals sometimes. The drain n' fill is more gentle, and lets the new fluid's detergents clean the parts. The tranny holds like 7 quarts, but you only get 2 from the pan. After about the 4th drain n' fill, your fluid should look brand spankin' new, and the car will be shifting perfectly. You'll notice a difference from the 1st drain n' fill, and it just keeps getting better from there. Once you're good to go, I would recommend the drain n' fill every other oil change, or 6-7000 miles. Ive been doing this for the past couple of years, and have 110% confidence in my tranny. It's silky smooth. Buy a case of the fluid from your TOYOTA dealer for like $50 bucks, and you should be good for at least a year+.

Thank you for your advice.

My 95 is 12 yr old but it only has 85K miles on her .... but I will do what you said.. thanx.