Best Use Of My Limited Funds To Diagnose...

Friends,

My '94 ES still runs great, though it's getting more and more sluggish with acceleration, and the fuel consumption is increasing. I'm getting roughly 13mpg now city...that just MUST indicate a problem. Toysrme has suggested that an injector is stuck open, however checking those costs a pretty penny unfortunately.

I was thinking to have the plugs changed tomorrow for a meager $150 (NGK plugs) which I can indeed afford. They have not been changed for years and years to my knowledge. I had one O2 sensor replaced nine months ago (fuel consumption then was terrible too, but now worse), and the CEL is not illuminated. No hesitation, no stalling, but takes long to warm up and virtually no pedal-to-the-metal acceleration for the first five to ten minutes of driving in the morning.

So, is having the plugs changed the best next step to take to figure out why it's sucking so much gas...would I know if an injector was open by having them examine the plugs as they're taken out?

Your opinions are valued, thanks much. :)

Friends,

My '94 ES still runs great, though it's getting more and more sluggish with acceleration, and the fuel consumption is increasing. I'm getting roughly 13mpg now city...that just MUST indicate a problem. Toysrme has suggested that an injector is stuck open, however checking those costs a pretty penny unfortunately.

I was thinking to have the plugs changed tomorrow for a meager $150 (NGK plugs) which I can indeed afford. They have not been changed for years and years to my knowledge. I had one O2 sensor replaced nine months ago (fuel consumption then was terrible too, but now worse), and the CEL is not illuminated. No hesitation, no stalling, but takes long to warm up and virtually no pedal-to-the-metal acceleration for the first five to ten minutes of driving in the morning.

So, is having the plugs changed the best next step to take to figure out why it's sucking so much gas...would I know if an injector was open by having them examine the plugs as they're taken out?

Your opinions are valued, thanks much. :)

Plugs are a few bucks apiece but a pita to change the back one. I don't think its your problem. You said it's worse cold so is you car warming up quickly enough.

If you are willing to throw $150 bucks at it, why not pay Lexus to hook it up and tell you whats wrong?

Plugs are a few bucks apiece but a pita to change the back one. I don't think its your problem. You said it's worse cold so is you car warming up quickly enough.

If you are willing to throw $150 bucks at it, why not pay Lexus to hook it up and tell you whats wrong?

Well, they can hook it up at the shop I'm taking it too. Basically, I don't trust Lexus dealers. Anyway, can an engine throw a code even if the CEL isn't on? Perhaps I should just take it to Auto Zone, they hook up the reader for free.

Re: cold...the fuel consumption is the real issue, the sluggishness is just something I've noticed getting more pronounced. Yes, worse cold, but sucks just as much fuel no matter when or for how long it's been driven.

it can store minor codes without the light.

Just an update...I had the engine flushed out to remove the carbon, got the plugs and the fuel filter changed, and an a/c recharge.

Made the round trip Chicago-Pensacola for 2,100 miles. Lexi performed flawlessly the entire way, what a great car.

Over five full tanks I averaged 25 miles per gallon traveling 70-80 mpg, cruise, three passengers plus luggage and a/c on the whole way.

Not bad!

Now back to Chicago city driving, hopefully the flush-out made a tiny difference. Probably not, maybe time to just accept that this old engine runs smooth from start to finish, but is just really thirsty.