Strange Vibration..

AustinGT

Hey guys... it's been a while but I could use some more of the great insight on these forums! My LS has a vibration that is noticeable at 55+ and seems proportionate to the speed of the car. It feels like a wheel could be way out of balance, except that the tires were just rotated and balanced 3k miles ago. I can feel it through the steering wheel (and to a lesser extent the car), but it still tracks perfectly, so I don't think alignment is an issue. All four shocks have been replaced within the last 8k miles, and a new steering rack was put in about 5k ago. I am puzzled because this is a relatively recent development and it used to be smooth as glass even at 80+, whereas now it isn't. Any help or advice before I take it in would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hey guys... it's been a while but I could use some more of the great insight on these forums! My LS has a vibration that is noticeable at 55+ and seems proportionate to the speed of the car. It feels like a wheel could be way out of balance, except that the tires were just rotated and balanced 3k miles ago. I can feel it through the steering wheel (and to a lesser extent the car), but it still tracks perfectly, so I don't think alignment is an issue. All four shocks have been replaced within the last 8k miles, and a new steering rack was put in about 5k ago. I am puzzled because this is a relatively recent development and it used to be smooth as glass even at 80+, whereas now it isn't. Any help or advice before I take it in would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

If you have enough miles taht the stearing rack needed to be replaced I would have someone check the driveline u-joints.

Even though it has only 3K since you had your wheels rotated/balanced, that could still be the source of your problem. Wheel weights have been known to come off if not properly applied, or if applied to a dirty surface. If the problem started suddenly, then that's where I would look first.

If the problem has built up gradually, I would then look at brake rotors, steering components, or even wheel bearings.

Cheers,

Mac

I have read through this post and also thought I had all the symptoms described above, however, turned out to be my rims were bent. Whoever had the car before me must have ran over curbs or something drastic.

Thanks guys for the input- my dad and I took it out to the country ( :) this morning, and naturally it drove fine. But I have noticed that the brakes vibrate when applied at freeway speeds, so I will definitely check that out. I did think it could've been the bearings, but I heard that if a bearing is on its way out you'd hear a low-pitched growling or something like that. Anyway, thanks for all the help so far, and I will look into the brake thing.

I have a similar vibration in my car. I first noticed it after having the rear driveshaft coupling replaced (cracked). I've just heard back from the shop that the front coupling has also cracked. Hopefully this will sort the problem out. For me, the whole car vibrates, worse at some speeds than at others. Bit surprising that these parts have worn out because the car has only done 100,000 Km.