1991 Ls 400 Issues

TommyK

Hello to all I havent been on the site since I sold my SC400 a couple years

I have a 1991 LS 400 I just picked up for $600 The car runs very well with the exception of the transmission and sound listed below.

When I first start up the car I hear a loud griding that goes away once the car is running. It seems as if its either my fly wheel or my starter, but the car starts up with no hesitation.

I also have a trasmission issue that my OD button flashes when it is ingaged, I also have the car shifting into higher gears too soon ex like going from 1st to 3rd. I am going to do a tranny fluid change to see if it goes away or stays the same. So if it doesnt improve could it be due to one of the solinoids going bad? I know that there are four of them.

All input is appreciated!

Tommy K

Fresno Ca

I have a 1991 LS 400 I just picked up for $600 The car runs very well with the exception of the transmission and sound listed below.

When I first start up the car I hear a loud griding that goes away once the car is running. It seems as if its either my fly wheel or my starter, but the car starts up with no hesitation.

I also have a trasmission issue that my OD button flashes when it is ingaged, I also have the car shifting into higher gears too soon ex like going from 1st to 3rd. I am going to do a tranny fluid change to see if it goes away or stays the same. So if it doesnt improve could it be due to one of the solinoids going bad? I know that there are four of them.

Tommy K

Fresno Ca

hey there,

Thx for the info. I too was told to chk that first. Do you know where I can get that done for a good price (& how much this usually costs around?). Keep me updated if you can.

Thx

Hyphy_chick

$600?! Great deal if it's in good shape otherwise. I'd say, just get a new rebuilt tranny. Might cost a couple grand, but you'll still be WAY ahead... :)

Andrew

yea I was gonna do that they got some used low milage tranny's I found out here for like 300 bux I'm gonna jump on one and replace it. The car is in okay shape the interior I'm replacing however the paint has some oxidizing on the bumpers but even in the condition its in i can get her back up to snuff and go from there.....