Lot's Of Buttons... Do They Work :) Please Advise

Hello friends,

I have a 2003 LS430 ultra w/ 45K

I have put 4000 miles on it so far ( bought used last month w/ 41K )

I have goodyear assurance 225/55/17 ( should be dunlop )

I have tried the hight, sport, vsc, power buttons in every matchup.

The car rides exactly the same in all positions.

The dealer says all is working.

Can anyone please explain the positions, I have read the manual but not enough info.

My friend's 95 ls400 150K rides on air. Mine still rides like a camry

I have a '91 LS400 (I'll post a pick as soon as I can get a chance.

The first top button is the Shift override button. It lets you shift gears without the ignition on, while the car is off/not running.

The next button is the Sport-mode button. When the Sport-mode button is activated, it provides a sturdier ride. I believe the Sport-mode button, when activated, works with your Air Suspension to control the performance of your vehicle (anyone, please add in if I'm incorrect, also throughout the entire content of my reply if needed).

The Height button should control height of the Air Suspension. On my Lex, the Height Indicator light located in the lower left-hand corner of the dash should indicate "NORMAL" (or "HI" when the button is activated). I believe when in "NORMAL" mode with speed at or beyond 83 MPH (at least on my model/year), will indicate "LO" for performance-related driving. If you see no difference in height when the Height button is activated, there is probably something worng with your Air Suspension air bags (or it is shot), or your Air Suspension has been replaced with conventional coil-over struts. I had mine replaced because they all went bad. $1000 per each air bag (at the stealer....I mean dealer) not including labor. I ordered coil-overs from Arnott Industries (http://www.arnottindustries.com/part_LEXUS_Air_Suspension_Parts_yid7.html) at $649 for all 4 and did it myself. Fairly easy if you're a DIYer. If you want to replace the air bags, they have them for $399 each.

The ECT button, when switched on, is for quick/fast acceleration, kind of like turbo. That's the best I can describe it. If that does not work, you may need to do a search within this forum.

Hope this helps.

I have a '91 LS400 (I'll post a pick as soon as I can get a chance.

The first top button is the Shift override button. It lets you shift gears without the ignition on, while the car is off/not running.

The next button is the Sport-mode button. When the Sport-mode button is activated, it provides a sturdier ride. I believe the Sport-mode button, when activated, works with your Air Suspension to control the performance of your vehicle (anyone, please add in if I'm incorrect, also throughout the entire content of my reply if needed).

The Height button should control height of the Air Suspension. On my Lex, the Height Indicator light located in the lower left-hand corner of the dash should indicate "NORMAL" (or "HI" when the button is activated). I believe when in "NORMAL" mode with speed at or beyond 83 MPH (at least on my model/year), will indicate "LO" for performance-related driving. If you see no difference in height when the Height button is activated, there is probably something worng with your Air Suspension air bags (or it is shot), or your Air Suspension has been replaced with conventional coil-over struts. I had mine replaced because they all went bad. $1000 per each air bag (at the stealer....I mean dealer) not including labor. I ordered coil-overs from Arnott Industries (http://www.arnottindustries.com/part_LEXUS_Air_Suspension_Parts_yid7.html) at $649 for all 4 and did it myself. Fairly easy if you're a DIYer. If you want to replace the air bags, they have them for $399 each.

The ECT button, when switched on, is for quick/fast acceleration, kind of like turbo. That's the best I can describe it. If that does not work, you may need to do a search within this forum.

Hope this helps.

Not sure if this would help as I just noticed the year and model of your car. I apologize.

VSC is Vehicle Skid Control which will activate in an emergency braking situation

Sport - should stiffen the shocks for a firmer ride

Power - will delay tranmission shift to a higher rpm under normal acceleration.

Height - not sure but i think it will raise and lower the vehicle slightly. Owner's manual should explain it's operation. It's been a while since i drove a UL so i'm foggy on the "height" operation.

Thank you guys,

I'm playing w/ all the buttons.

I've attached a pic of the buttons. The 1st button or 'sport/norm' button sets the damping of the shocks, which will give you a bit of a stiffer ride (not much, keep in mind this is an LS, not the GS or IS). The next is the height button which the 'high' setting is only active at lower speeds. It will raise the car about an inch for driving around town, but as soon as you exceed a certain speed (not sure the exact speed), the suspension will automatically lower itself to the 'norm' setting, and then when you slow down, it will raise back up. The next button is the 'ECT' which has the pwr & snow settings. For the pwr setting, the transmission will hold the shift points a little longer (go from 1st to 2nd then to 3rd etc..) at a higher engine rpm. In the snow setting, the transmission will start out in 2nd gear, to limit wheel spin on ice and/or slippery surfaces. On the bottom row, there are the rear shade up/down buttons, the VSC off button (turn this off if you are stuck in mud or whatever) so that you can 'rock' the car in and out of the rut that you are stuck in (I personally thick that if you are driving this car in that type of condition, you deserve to be stuck!!). The next button puts the reclining rear seats back to the full upright position and moves the headrests completely down (you will need to hold this down until they get all the way back). Next is the high pressure washer for the headlights. Hold this down, and there should be a spray of washer fluid directed onto the headlights. The last two buttons/switches are for the heated/cooled front seats, with the middle or white area on the rotary swich topost-41980-1178932209_thumb.jpg circulate 'cabin' temperature air through the seats.

Air suspension....

To really tell the difference between normal mode and sport mode you need to drive on a rough, cobblestone, railroad tie, type roadbed, in normal mode vs sport mode. In sport mode a 20MPH drive on a rough surface will definitely be somewhat uncomfortable. Sport mode is really intended for somewhat seriously aggressive driving, pushing the torque/traction envelope, say like "track" time.