Changing Air Filter

I just purchased a 1996 RX400H. I want to change the air filter, but am somewhat intimidated by the plastic engine cover. How do I remove it. After I do, is the air filter easy to get to, or will I need a special tool? This is the first car I have owned that had access to the engine obscured by a plastic cover.

I just purchased a 1996 RX400H. I want to change the air filter, but am somewhat intimidated by the plastic engine cover. How do I remove it. After I do, is the air filter easy to get to, or will I need a special tool? This is the first car I have owned that had access to the engine obscured by a plastic cover.

Might you mean 2006?

Might you mean 2006?

Ooops. I must be living in the past. Of course I mean an '06. Sorry.

I have a 2007 and haven't yet changed my air filter. But assuming your 2006 is the same, it looks very straightforward to remove with 4 snap clips and possibly the snorkel clamp.

Tom

I have a 2007 and haven't yet changed my air filter. But assuming your 2006 is the same, it looks very straightforward to remove with 4 snap clips and possibly the snorkel clamp.

Tom

Equally simple is the cabin air filter (they tend to get moldy smelling pretty quick), which is right behind the glove box. Might as well do 'em both at the same time ;)

But . . . DON'T even think of buying it from the Dealer unless you really like to throw your $$$ away. There are a ton of on line places that will sell it to you for about a third of what the dealer charges you . . . much less what they'll get for installing it as well.