Having To Use Premium Gas

Hey everyone out there I have some questions for everyone, tell me what you think-

I own a 1999 ES300 with a hard to believe 197k on the ODO I have had the car almost a year I bought it at 183K. I was hesitant to purchase a vehicle with this many miles at first but this being my second Lexus and seeing that the previous owner took extreme care of the car I decided to buy it. In my year of ownership I've noticed a few things that I would like to share with everyone.

When I first drive the car in the morning it seems to hold second gear for quite a long time, it will get higher then usual in the RPM range, I let off the gas then it will shift, If I don't let off it will stay in second for quite a while. Has anyone else experienced that? Its done it since I've owned it It hasn't gotten worse or anything its just a litle odd to me. Its like its trying to warm the car up faster but I don't have the heat on.

Second question

Does everyone run premium? When I first bought the ES I would put 87 in it but would notice knocking and pinging while driving especially with the A/C on. I did the seafoam thinking that might help things but to no avail.

Out here in Northern Cali premium is $3.75 a gallon! Has anyone experienced the same thing and might have a suggestion on what to do? I would like to be able to use 87 in my car its almost 25 cents cheaper and that adds up

I'm currently getting 22/28 mpg depending on how much highway. I average just over 400 miles to a tank, and that's really topping it off

You think maybe intake cleaning or change timing a little? Thanks in advance

Jerry

This is NOT a problem! The transmission controller is designed to delay this shifting until the coolant reaches a predetermined temperature.

The pre-ignition (knocking & pinging) is probably due to carbon buildup in the combustion chambers due to the high mileage on your car. That's why you need to use premium grade fuel. New sparkplugs, or a full engine tuneup might help this problem.

• 2 months later...