My 95 Sc400 Has Just Turned 119,000 Miles

I have had my SC400 for a couple of months now. I am the second owner. It just reached 119,000 miles. I have had it in to lexus for the power steering pump replacement.($1316) They are telling me the timing belt that turns the Cams was originally specked to be replaced at 120,000 but they dialed it back to 90,000 miles. They want me to get it done right away. I am trying to set the cash aside for them to do it. They Did Do a really good job on the power steering. They are saying it is a job of basically over $1000. I am also considering getting the water pump replaced and some front oil seals at the end of the cams only because what are the chances they are almost at the end of their life, and most of the labor is already done to do the timing belt. What does anyone think? I want a quality replacement on the belt soon, but I am not a rich man. Any experience on when this might break (under normal wear and tear), how long do I really have to do this before it becomes A dangerous situation?? In miles of course. can I go another 10,000 miles or no? I am told on the 95 if the belt did break it could cause major valve and head damage, I don't want that. Any answers or experience might help me sleep a little better at night for now. Thanks

post-41324-1177713169_thumb.jpg

I work for the Lexus dealer and it should have been done at 90K. If the timing belt breaks it will probly bend the valves. Which at the dealer would cost about 3500$.

So when u have it done it is a smart idea to have the cam, crank seals done. You should also have the water pump and the bearings changed at the same time.

Im sure you can get the timing belt down cheaper about 400 bucks from a small local shop. So If you're worried about it, then you should go change it. That reminds that I need to do mine too.

I have had my SC400 for a couple of months now. I am the second owner. It just reached 119,000 miles. I have had it in to lexus for the power steering pump replacement.($1316) They are telling me the timing belt that turns the Cams was originally specked to be replaced at 120,000 but they dialed it back to 90,000 miles. They want me to get it done right away. I am trying to set the cash aside for them to do it. They Did Do a really good job on the power steering. They are saying it is a job of basically over $1000. I am also considering getting the water pump replaced and some front oil seals at the end of the cams only because what are the chances they are almost at the end of their life, and most of the labor is already done to do the timing belt. What does anyone think? I want a quality replacement on the belt soon, but I am not a rich man. Any experience on when this might break (under normal wear and tear), how long do I really have to do this before it becomes A dangerous situation?? In miles of course. can I go another 10,000 miles or no? I am told on the 95 if the belt did break it could cause major valve and head damage, I don't want that. Any answers or experience might help me sleep a little better at night for now. Thanks

Firstly, there was a recent thread discussing if the engine is an interference motor. It was concluded that it was not through '97 if my memory serves me. That said, you do not need to feel rushed about the timing belt. The worst result would be it snapping and needing a tow. No valve damage would occur on your generation. Further, a response to the thread was a gent with something like 175k on his original t-belt.

Second, if you have to save money for dealership costs its time to find an independent tech. $1,316 for the steering pump :wacko: !!! Christ, I bought the pump and alternator myself and had a trusted independant perform p.s pump, alternator and belts for something like $175 (all in all $475 for parts&labor). I would post on the other (more active) Lexus forum for advice regarding a independant Toyota tech. It is just a ten year old Toyota 4.0 and a former master tech with near any import backround can bang these jobs out no problem. I often print out step by steps and leave them in the passenger seat for my guy.

Hth.