Mark Levinson - Worth It?

Hi all,

I'm contemplating buying an IS350, and I'm wondering if the Mark Levinson system is worth it. I have heard the base stereo, and am quite impressed. However, as an audio enthusiast, I'm rather intrigued by what the Mark Levinson has to offer. My question - is the Mark Levinson still worth the extra cost if you have no intention of buying DVD-Audio discs? I mean, will the ML system still deliver superior sound while playing regular CD's, or is the only advantage in it's 5.1 capabilities? I think the ML system has an extra speaker and 300 watts RMS, but it doesn't really mention if the speakers are the same as the base system, etc...

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Hi all,

I'm contemplating buying an IS350, and I'm wondering if the Mark Levinson system is worth it. I have heard the base stereo, and am quite impressed. However, as an audio enthusiast, I'm rather intrigued by what the Mark Levinson has to offer. My question - is the Mark Levinson still worth the extra cost if you have no intention of buying DVD-Audio discs? I mean, will the ML system still deliver superior sound while playing regular CD's, or is the only advantage in it's 5.1 capabilities? I think the ML system has an extra speaker and 300 watts RMS, but it doesn't really mention if the speakers are the same as the base system, etc...

I went through the same dilemma when I was thinking about the M/L system. I believe that the entire system is different then the standard Lexus setup. The M/L website has much detail about the speaker sizes and materials. I would say that it is worth the extra cost in addition to the NAV features and back-up camera.

I use my system for CD and DVD-Video concerts. It does not seem like DVD-A will ever take off but it is of no concern to me.

The Acura/ELP system is considered to be the best (only?) DVD-A capable in vehicle radio. I read a report somewhere that people preferred the ELP system for DVD-A but liked the M/L system better for stereo CD recordings.

Check out the other recent discussion about the M/L system and DVD-A. It turns out that it is not fully compatible anyway. I guess that explains the preference for the Acura/ELP system.

Hi all,

I went through the same dilemma when I was thinking about the M/L system. I believe that the entire system is different then the standard Lexus setup. The M/L website has much detail about the speaker sizes and materials. I would say that it is worth the extra cost in addition to the NAV features and back-up camera.

I use my system for CD and DVD-Video concerts. It does not seem like DVD-A will ever take off but it is of no concern to me.

The Acura/ELP system is considered to be the best (only?) DVD-A capable in vehicle radio. I read a report somewhere that people preferred the ELP system for DVD-A but liked the M/L system better for stereo CD recordings.

Check out the other recent discussion about the M/L system and DVD-A. It turns out that it is not fully compatible anyway. I guess that explains the preference for the Acura/ELP system.

for the little extra you pay...its def worth it.

There is a commercial out with Diana Krall sitting in a Lexus enjoying the ML system. I have been a long-time Krall fan, and I literally got goose-bumps watching that spot. My wife and I have already decided that her next car will be a Lexus, but that commercial sealed the deal.

I'm still trying to convince her to favor the IS. I have gotten her to test drive the GS and the ES, and she actually likes the ES quite a bit. Obviously, I like the IS best... so I have some work to do. Regardless, I look forward to comparing the stereo options. I usually prefer to plug my I-Pod in, and my wife listens to Books on CD type things; so we may not be the best candidates for an upgraded audio system. But in my grumpy old age, I'm willing to pay more for things just in case I might like them better. :rolleyes: