Pulling To The Right-rx350

Hi,

My wife and I recently bought a 2008 RX350. Love everything about the car except it pulls to the right too much (let go and goes right about 1 second later.) I have been to the dealer once and am going back again tomorrow. Wondering if anyone else had/has this problem and if there is a solution?

Hi,

My wife and I recently bought a 2008 RX350. Love everything about the car except it pulls to the right too much (let go and goes right about 1 second later.) I have been to the dealer once and am going back again tomorrow. Wondering if anyone else had/has this problem and if there is a solution?

Have a 2007 same issue, dealer did the alignment, still not any better. See this post as well.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=35250

My 2008 RX350 with 18inch alloy wheels, and Goodyear tires was drifting to the right from the day I got it. I added an extra pound of air in right front, made it a little better, then based on info I found in forums like this, I took off both front wheels. The right wheel would not stand up by itself but would instead always fall over to the right (outside). The left wheel would stand up by itself. I put the right wheel on the left front, and left on the right, and problem solved! Still seems odd, you'd think the car would be less sensitive to tire differences, less then 400 miles on everything. I am curious to see if the problem returns. I am slways wondering why it doesn't now pull to the left, but it doesn't.

• 4 months later...

I've got a 2004 330 and had the same problem. The Rx models tend to drift left or right fairly easily. I took mine in for an alignment and it was better then when I first got it. The Lexus rx330 steering requires constant focus while driving. This vehical does not guide itself down the road, you have to constantly steer it. If you take your eye's off the road for a second it's liable to drift left or right very quickly. I would say it's a design issue but a front end alignment will help.

Hi,

Have a 2007 same issue, dealer did the alignment, still not any better. See this post as well.

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...showtopic=35250

My Canadian '07 RX350 drifted to right from when I took delivery. Seemed to be having to hold against steering pressure - dealer did tire swap R to L & L to R. Did not correct it. Also full alignment, still drifted. Factory rep took drive in it - he arranged for replacement of power steering pump and steering rack - all on warranty. Improved, but still slight drift to right. Will try to get dealer to re-do alignment.

• 1 month later...

When balancing tires, make sure the balancing machine does a "road force" test to determine the correct balance. This makes a significant difference with tires that "pass" using the common balancing machines.

The alignment needs to be done by a true alignment technician, not just someone who uses the computer printouts and does the minimum to get it within specs. If it does not track as it should, take it back and have them adjust it again until they get it right. The mfg specs are very broad and an alignment can be within the specs and still not track properly and wear tires prematurely. Tell the tech how you want it to track, then they can set it so it does accordingly. It may take a number of adjustments the first time you get it aligned properly, but after that it can usually be done the first attempt. I used to have tires wear out within 30-40K miles on standard alignments (within specs), but with a true alignment, I started getting 50-70K miles with only a couple rotations. I regularly check the air and the wear of the tires.

Depending on the predominant roads I drive, I have the alignment set accordingly - based on the crown of the road and the number of people and weight. You know you have a real alignment tech when they understand such parameters are real factors in a real alignment.

When balancing tires, make sure the balancing machine does a "road force" test to determine the correct balance. This makes a significant difference with tires that "pass" using the common balancing machines.

The alignment needs to be done by a true alignment technician, not just someone who uses the computer printouts and does the minimum to get it within specs. If it does not track as it should, take it back and have them adjust it again until they get it right. The mfg specs are very broad and an alignment can be within the specs and still not track properly and wear tires prematurely. Tell the tech how you want it to track, then they can set it so it does accordingly. It may take a number of adjustments the first time you get it aligned properly, but after that it can usually be done the first attempt. I used to have tires wear out within 30-40K miles on standard alignments (within specs), but with a true alignment, I started getting 50-70K miles with only a couple rotations. I regularly check the air and the wear of the tires.

Depending on the predominant roads I drive, I have the alignment set accordingly - based on the crown of the road and the number of people and weight. You know you have a real alignment tech when they understand such parameters are real factors in a real alignment.

Thanks for the tips LxPearl - It sure makes sense that a good technician can make a big difference. I just had my RX aligned by another dealership and it is much improved now. Always felt first one didn't believe me - you know - the 'its normal to be that way'. It's pleasant to deal where they listen to the customer as if you have a brain and are able to respond and achieve good results. After over a year of trying to get it fixed, my RX finally drives straight down the road. It is still very susceptible to road camber - wanting to drift if there is a bit more slope to the road, but it's quite manageable now - what I was expecting buying a Lexus. Next time I have tires changed (soon to winter snows), I'll try for the road force balancing. Thanks.