1st Gen Ls4 Brake System...

1991LS400

ok fellas,

I just got my zinc-plated drilled/slotted rotors installed at a shop and they also changed out my old pads with new CERAMIC pads. I thought only SEMI-METALLIC pads were supposed to be used on zinc-plated drilled/slotted rotors.

can someone please clear this issue up with me so that I can go to sleep better at night. I need to know if these ceramic pads will destroy my new rotors.

I'm not a wheel/suspension/brakes guru hence the reason why I need you experienced gentlmen's help.

Thanks.

I am going to upgrade the brakes on our 1991 LS400 to the newer calipers and larger rotors.

We also own a fleet of Chevy Beretta's which go through a similar brake upgrade. In which later 1991 of the lil chevy's got smaller rotors by 3/4" in diameter with little difference in thickness. My personal experience is that no matter which rotor finish or machining, or what special pad compound the size of the caliper and the rotor do make a difference.

I am personally looking into the larger Lexus brakes use on later models and turbo supra's.

I am going to upgrade the brakes on our 1991 LS400 to the newer calipers and larger rotors.

We also own a fleet of Chevy Beretta's which go through a similar brake upgrade. In which later 1991 of the lil chevy's got smaller rotors by 3/4" in diameter with little difference in thickness. My personal experience is that no matter which rotor finish or machining, or what special pad compound the size of the caliper and the rotor do make a difference.

I am personally looking into the larger Lexus brakes use on later models and turbo supra's.

that makes sense.

I just wanted to know if ceramic pads would destroy my new zinc-plated drilled/slotted rotors. because everywhere you look, zinc-plated drilled/slotted rotors are being sold with semi-metallic brake pads.