Ac/heating System

Hello I am new to the forum. I recently purchases a 2008 RX350. I was a devoted Jeep owner( Cheerokee Limited) for 25 years,. Sorry about that! Therefore my only reference as to how systems work was my jeep which had many similiar options. The RX is great no more jeeps for me.

Question:

1.I operate the climate control system in the automatic mode. I noticed when in this mode the AC Button lite goes on. The current temp in my area is about 40 degrees. Does the AC lite always remain on no matter what the internal temp of the car when in the Automatic mode? The jeep I owned would only lite up when the interior temp is hot like summer time . It would never turn on in the winter time.

I also noticed a distinct sound from the fan or air coming out of the vents when the fan was at its lowest speed. When you turn the climate control off the cabin noise is reduced. Should I be getting this level of noise at the low fan speed. Again I never noticed in my jeep which is why it caught my attention.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks

Daddy

Hello I am new to the forum. I recently purchases a 2008 RX350. I was a devoted Jeep owner( Cheerokee Limited) for 25 years,. Sorry about that! Therefore my only reference as to how systems work was my jeep which had many similiar options. The RX is great no more jeeps for me.

Question:

1.I operate the climate control system in the automatic mode. I noticed when in this mode the AC Button lite goes on. The current temp in my area is about 40 degrees. Does the AC lite always remain on no matter what the internal temp of the car when in the Automatic mode? The jeep I owned would only lite up when the interior temp is hot like summer time . It would never turn on in the winter time.

I also noticed a distinct sound from the fan or air coming out of the vents when the fan was at its lowest speed. When you turn the climate control off the cabin noise is reduced. Should I be getting this level of noise at the low fan speed. Again I never noticed in my jeep which is why it caught my attention.

Thanks

Daddy

Yes, Auto will default to having the compressor run. It controls temp better, and it dehumidifies. I believe the compressor will turn itself off at about 32 but I just punch the A/C button whenever I don't feel A/c is needed. Fortunately, it stays off until you reselect it or hit Auto again, even with car restarts. Most cars I've had recently operate this way. Regarding noise, although you don't describe it, there should be none but low fan sound. It could be something entered the system and is hitting the fan or some piece was improperly aligned at manufacture. Without a description, that's a guess. Take it to the dealer.

Question:

Thanks

Daddy

There are three c-best options of which you will likely have an interest.

1. an option exists to disable the operation of the A/C compressor indefinitely just by turning it off once. It will only run again in automatic mode if you turn it back on.

2. An option exists wherein the A/C can be unlinked from operating automatically, with no indication to you, in defrost/defog/demist mode.

3. An option exists that will prevent the system from automatically switching from heating, airflow primarily from footwell outlets, to cooling, dash airflow. Now only would cooling airflow be discomforting on a COLD winter day but in cooling mode no airflow goes to the windshield to keep it warmed and hopefully above dewpoint.

Google for wwest and demist for even more information.

Question:

Thanks

Daddy

Yes, Auto will default to having the compressor run. It controls temp better, and it dehumidifies. I believe the compressor will turn itself off at about 32 but I just punch the A/C button whenever I don't feel A/c is needed. Fortunately, it stays off until you reselect it or hit Auto again, even with car restarts. Most cars I've had recently operate this way. Regarding noise, although you don't describe it, there should be none but low fan sound. It could be something entered the system and is hitting the fan or some piece was improperly aligned at manufacture. Without a description, that's a guess. Take it to the dealer.

Since you have an RXh some of the c-best options are set differently from the RX series. The A/C compressor is a HUGE load on the hybrid system so it comes from the factory with the c-best A/C mode set in the default condition.

Question:

Thanks

Daddy

There are three c-best options of which you will likely have an interest.

1. an option exists to disable the operation of the A/C compressor indefinitely just by turning it off once. It will only run again in automatic mode if you turn it back on.

2. An option exists wherein the A/C can be unlinked from operating automatically, with no indication to you, in defrost/defog/demist mode.

3. An option exists that will prevent the system from automatically switching from heating, airflow primarily from footwell outlets, to cooling, dash airflow. Now only would cooling airflow be discomforting on a COLD winter day but in cooling mode no airflow goes to the windshield to keep it warmed and hopefully above dewpoint.

Google for wwest and demist for even more information.

Thanks everyone. Looks like it is operating normal and if I get too cool I can turn off the AC mode while still in automatic. I presume this will then let warm air enter the cabin and maintain defrosting if needed to the windshield in the winter time.

Question:

Thanks

Daddy

Since you have an RXh some of the c-best options are set differently from the RX series. The A/C compressor is a HUGE load on the hybrid system so it comes from the factory with the c-best A/C mode set in the default condition.

When you turn the ac mode off will warmer air come out the vents that more closly match the temp setting

The A/C compressor is a HUGE load on the hybrid system....

Why do you say so? It's running purely on electric, just like the PS, and it appeared to have no effect on fuel mpg nor acceleration performance last summer. Plus, it's instantly cold irrespective of engine speed. Maybe a load on the standard battery, I can see, but not the hybrid system. See also discussion Denso A/C

Why do you say so? It's running purely on electric, just like the PS, and it appeared to have no effect on fuel mpg nor acceleration performance last summer. Plus, it's instantly cold irrespective of engine speed. Maybe a load on the standard battery, I can see, but not the hybrid system. See also discussion Denso A/C

The electric power to run your A/C either comes from the ICE running to charge the hybrid battery or the ICE running to move the vehicle so that during coastdown/braking the energy can be recovered to charge the hybrid battery. Either way it initially came out of the end of the fueling hose at the station.

There are NO free lunches nor perpetual motion machines.

The electric power to run your A/C either comes from the ICE running to charge the hybrid battery or the ICE running to move the vehicle so that during coastdown/braking the energy can be recovered to charge the hybrid battery. Either way it initially came out of the end of the fueling hose at the station.

When it's hot, A/C is worth whatever it takes, electric or belt driven (getting us back to an RX 350 topic, not hybrid). And the switch on the dash disables it. :cheers:

When it's hot, A/C is worth whatever it takes, electric or belt driven (getting us back to an RX 350 topic, not hybrid). And the switch on the dash disables it. :cheers:

Maybe the new models are different but my 2001 AWD RX300 A/C control button would only turn the A/C off until the next engine restart. It was only after I had the dealer (re)set the c-best option that turning it off once would disable it indefinitely. I also had the dealer set the c-best option that unlinked the A/C from automatic operation, with no indication of same, in defrost/defog/demist mode.

I could see that with an RXh the c-best option might already be set for the most economic mode but I'm not so sure about any "regular" RXes out there. But its easy enough to check, turn the A/C off and then depress the "auto" button. If the A/C indication comes back on then you need to visit the dealer and have the c-best option "set".