Is250 Clock Lens Haze

I originally posted this in the detailing forum but didn't get much of a response. Lots of lookers though.

I have noticed that the plastic lens that covers the interior clock as well as the passenger seatbelt/airbag icon has a dull hazy finish. I have rubbed it with my finger and is seems like it could be polished to a glossy shine. I believe that this lens is only used in IS250/IS350 with or without navigation.

It is a smoked lens with a reddish (plum) tint when viewed in the right light. I have Novus plastic cleaners 1, 2 & 3. I plan to use Novus 1 to see if I can get it as glossy of the wood trim. I think the white printing on the exterior of the lens is tough enough so that it would not rub off.

Has anyone polished this lens? Any tips or pointers?

Thanks,

well...i would have taken it to the dealer because i wouldnt want to try anything that might ruin the surface of it. Now, i dont know much about the clock haze but i felt sorry that nobody was responding. lol

does the haze take away from the clarity of the clock?

i believe that piece can easily be changed out, if you see the two holes on each side. that is actually what they remove to get to the Nav disc. I think if you have a small enough screw driver, remove it first and then you can detail it outside of your car. hope this helps.

well...i would have taken it to the dealer because i wouldnt want to try anything that might ruin the surface of it. Now, i dont know much about the clock haze but i felt sorry that nobody was responding. lol

does the haze take away from the clarity of the clock?

i believe that piece can easily be changed out, if you see the two holes on each side. that is actually what they remove to get to the Nav disc. I think if you have a small enough screw driver, remove it first and then you can detail it outside of your car. hope this helps.

Hey, thanks for the reply. The issue is not somthing that I would take to the dealer. In fact I believe that all of the IS250/350's have this same lens appearance. It does not affect the clairty of the clock. It is just that it doesn't have the high gloss look. Perhaps this is on purpose?

I did go over it with Novus #1 this weekend and it made no improvment. I might consider fooling with it again somtime but I will give it a rest for now.