Radio Antenna

sfbarpilot4

• 2 months later...

the radio antenna on my 2002 rx300 does not go up, and the radio doesn't work. does anyone know what fuse the antenna is circuited on?

thanks

I don't know the answer to your question about the fuse, but my antenna does not go all of the way up anymore. I've tried WD 40, cleaning it with windex and having someone pull on it when it is going up. So far nothing was worked.

Any suggestions?

I don't know the answer to your question about the fuse, but my antenna does not go all of the way up anymore. I've tried WD 40, cleaning it with windex and having someone pull on it when it is going up. So far nothing was worked.

Any suggestions?

If your antenna has stopped extending and retracting, its possible the nylon cable that drives it has broken. Take a listen when you turn the radio on/off and see if you hear the antenna motor running. If you hear the motor but the antenna doesnt move its likely the cable has broken. If you dont hear the motor it may be that the motor has died. My experiene has been that its usually the cable that fails.

Unfortunately , the replacement diagram from the manual doesnt mention that IF the cable has broken there will be a broken off piece of cable still left in the antenna motor assembly. This will need to be removed before you insert the new shaft/cable.

I've had the fortune to do this a few years ago and I posted my notes here:

Post #7 on the Second link is my account of replacing the antenna

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...c=28874&hl=

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...c=29014&hl=

• 2 weeks later...

Any suggestions?

If your antenna has stopped extending and retracting, its possible the nylon cable that drives it has broken. Take a listen when you turn the radio on/off and see if you hear the antenna motor running. If you hear the motor but the antenna doesnt move its likely the cable has broken. If you dont hear the motor it may be that the motor has died. My experiene has been that its usually the cable that fails.

Unfortunately , the replacement diagram from the manual doesnt mention that IF the cable has broken there will be a broken off piece of cable still left in the antenna motor assembly. This will need to be removed before you insert the new shaft/cable.

I've had the fortune to do this a few years ago and I posted my notes here:

Post #7 on the Second link is my account of replacing the antenna

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...c=28874&hl=

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/forums/index...c=29014&hl=

I have this problem on my 2000 RX300 - noise coming from back, antenna no longer going up or down and now the antenna has gotten kinked/bent.

1. can this be removed using : http://rx300how2.home.comcast.net/antenna_...replacement.htm

2. if not, guess i'll have to remove the panels. Is it merely the lower black panels or the carpeted side panels also?

2a. took a look at removing the black panels and am concerned about "popping out" the plastic fasteners without breaking them. what technique is used other than brute force with a screwdriver?

Your help is appreciated with this as this is becoming quite a nuisance due to the noise one gets when turning the car on/off and i've also noticed that the radio reception has deteriorated

I don't really think just removing the nut will work. If the nylon cable is NOT broken you probably wont be able to pull it out

of the motor assembly due to the configuration of the worm-gear drive mechanism. If the the nylon cable is broken, you 'll likely need to disassemble the motor housing anyhow to get the broken piece out. in any case you might try just removing the nut first and see what you find as you'll need to do that anyway to get the new antenna in. Dont worry about the plasitc fasteners, they pop out when you pry them enough and once you see how they work you wont worry about them any longer. Its a bit of a tedious process and it does require removing a few panels so keep track of where everything went. Nothing is really super complicated it just requires a bit of time to take everyhting apart, oh and yes you'll definitely need to remove the big side panel to get at the antenna <_<