Engine Coolant Disappearing

My engine coolant is disappearing, and from the liquid on top of the coolant reservoir, I'm suspecting it escapes from the top. There are two openings on the top of the coolant reservoir: the one where you pour the coolant and the other one.

1. What's the other one called, and what's it's function?

2. I opened the lid on it, and the brown/orange rubber seal or whatever it is underneath the cap looked in bad shape, so I think this is where I'm losing the coolant (the reservoir is almost empty by the way). Could I fix this easily myself, or is it better to go to a Lexus dealer?

Most of the mid-90's LS models leak at this point. I think that the pressure reaches a point where it causes coolant to leak at the coolant level sensor instead of releasing pressure through the coolant tank fill cap.

I wouldn't even try to seal the place it is leaking. This is going to be very difficult.

I would do two things: (1) do not fill the coolant reservoir to the indicated fill lines. When you fill it to the fill lines, the tank is not large enough to hold all the coolant after it expands from the heat. This is a design flaw by Lexus. And (2) keep a close eye on the coolant level. You don't have as much margin of error if you keep the level below the indicated fill line.

Is the coolant level sensor the other opening on the top of the reservoir?

I filled the coolant to between the indicated lines, but when I checked the car next the coolant was down about 2 inches below the minimum line. Surely it can't be good for the car to be driven like this?

I was in the same situation, the coolant started leaking from the sensor side, which is the other " opening" I changed the sensor, it was great for a year, but now the coolant reservoire cracked a bit right by the sensor in the corner, so I am gonna have to change that too. The reservoire is about $ 70, eventho web sites such as park lexus and others might show that being $ 12.50, that's an error. B)

Is the coolant level sensor the other opening on the top of the reservoir?

I filled the coolant to between the indicated lines, but when I checked the car next the coolant was down about 2 inches below the minimum line. Surely it can't be good for the car to be driven like this?

Yes, the other opening is the coolant level sensor.

I wouldn't be concerned as long as there is at least some coolant showing in the reservoir. If the reservoir becomes completely empty, you may have some other problem involving coolant loss.

So I decided to fill the coolant reservoir up to the minimum mark and start the engine to see where my coolant was disappearing to. A little while later I noticed a pool of liquid under the car, and it seemed like engine coolant. It's definately not oil. Peering down behind the radiator, I could see some kind of "floor" underneath the engine. There was more liquid there, so it seems I have a leak somewhere down there, but maybe not at the top of the coolant reservoir, as I originally thought.

I also noticed, and this is where I need your expertise folks, behind the Traction Control System there's a small something, and this was also leaking small drops of clear liquid every 4-5 seconds. Could this be engine coolant as well, or is it something else? It's just outside the windshield.

Do you have any way to do a picture?

The only part I can think of from your description is the heater control valve. A leak there would certainly cause coolant loss.

However, coolant should not appear "clear." It should be colored.

Drove a bit (2 x 1 hour) last weekend, but didn't lose any coolant.

Started the car again today and left the engine running.

1. There is a loud metallic noise from the belt (fan belt?) in front og the Power Steering Fluid container. I think it gets quieter after a while, at least I don't notice it much when driving.

p4050059.jpg

2. There was still liquid dropping off a reel behind the Traction Control System. See pictures.

p4050055.jpg

This is the reel as seen from the right side of the car. Sorry about the picture quality. Small droplets can be seen hanging on the reel. What is this?

p4050057.jpg

3. When I bought the car I was informed it didn't have air suspension, but this picture seems to indicate otherwise, or? The writing is "Electronic modulated air suspension".

p4050052.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 14 years later...
On 3/31/2007 at 3:19 AM, My other car is a LeBaron said:

So I decided to fill the coolant reservoir up to the minimum mark and start the engine to see where my coolant was disappearing to. A little while later I noticed a pool of liquid under the car, and it seemed like engine coolant. It's definately not oil. Peering down behind the radiator, I could see some kind of "floor" underneath the engine. There was more liquid there, so it seems I have a leak somewhere down there, but maybe not at the top of the coolant reservoir, as I originally thought.

I also noticed, and this is where I need your expertise folks, behind the Traction Control System there's a small something, and this was also leaking small drops of clear liquid every 4-5 seconds. Could this be engine coolant as well, or is it something else? It's just outside the windshield.

Not a member, however I am dealing with the same issue on my ls400. There is a fluid loss at the top of the coolant resevoir(expansion tank) dried residue is all that was left.  Coolant when topped to full line was escaping when under pressure during driving conditions prevented me from figuring it out for some time. I removed the tank and the sensor. Lift the rubber cover and the sensor is ridged like a coin. It can be unscrewed counter clockwise to access.Two hairline cracks at the sensor hole, for me located a 6 and 12 o’clock looking at it from the front of the car were the issue. Barely visible. After removing the tank.  I plugged the hose nozzles filled the tank with warm tap water and turned it upside down. Once I saw the leak I determined replacement was the only solution

• Like 1