Spring Is Here! Maintenance Tip For Older Cars.

W201 sweden

Finally got around to do some maintenance in my -95 LS yesterday. (I don't run it in the winter.)

Flushing and refilling of PS oil system seemed a good thing to start with, and it sure was. I used my brake bleeder tool to suck out as much fluid as possible from

the reservoir - it was as black as OLLLD engine oil, awful. :o I then refilled it with Toyota original tranny fluid, about 0,2 litres.

Then I started the engine and let it idle for some minutes, occasionally turning the wheel from one side to another.

The new oil was very dirty after just a couple of minutes. After that, drain and refill again. And again. :blink: And again. :wacko:

It was still a bit dirty, but now I will let it run for a while, and then replace it again. It seems it was really good to clean out the system, and hopefully the steering

will be smother now. It was not bad before, but with cold engine, the steering has been a bit "stiff"/reluctant.

That's all, folks! :D

/Alexander from Sweden

No, I did not disconnect anything. I just pulled up the lid/dipstick and sucked out the fluid in the reservoir with a brake bleeding tool. A real disassembly would probably let you drain most of the system at once, whereas I have "diluted" and mixed new and old fluid.

I did not want to remove any hoses, and as long as I got the dirt out of the system... :)

/Alexander