Updating The Nav System

My wife just bought a 2007 ES-350 with Nav & Bluetooth. On her system, she can manually input telephone numbers into the phonebook whereas on my 2006 RX-330, all telephone book inputs must be transferred via Bluetooth.

Question - when I eventually upgrade my Nav system (prob 2010), will it also update the Bluetooth/telephone interface so I will also be able to manually input telephone numbers?

Thanks in advance from southern California

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I think my question was poorly presented. Let me ask it a different way. When the nav system is updated, does it only update the nav database or does it also update the nav S/W to all the current functions and interfaces associated with the upgrade version?

My wife just bought a 2007 ES-350 with Nav & Bluetooth. On her system, she can manually input telephone numbers into the phonebook whereas on my 2006 RX-330, all telephone book inputs must be transferred via Bluetooth.

Question - when I eventually upgrade my Nav system (prob 2010), will it also update the Bluetooth/telephone interface so I will also be able to manually input telephone numbers?

I'm just a newbie to Lexus myself but from what I've read regarding upgrading the NAV DVD from ver. 5.x to 6.1 it will also update the firmware. In fact, there used to be a service mode in version 5 that allowed you to use many of the functions that get blocked out while the car is in motion. When those users upgraded they lost the service mode because the firmware was also upgraded and Lexus removed it. :censored: . My understanding is that the firmware upgrade is part of the DVD. Some guys have got around this by creating a hybrid DVD. They made a copy of the old generation 5 disc but copied the newer maps from the gen. 6 disc. This preserved the older firmware but gave them newer maps. So don't throw away your current DVD!

How much does it upgrade? Will it give you all the bells and whistles that your wife's car has? I don't know. In 2010 when you upgrade it may all be different!

All I can tell you is that my 07 RX 350 with NAV Gen 6 will allow me to enter phone numbers manually if I am stationary but it gets blocked while I am in motion. However, while I am in motion I can enter manual phone numbers via voice command.

Hope that helps,

Dave

• 3 weeks later...
Okay, I think my question was poorly presented. Let me ask it a different way. When the nav system is updated, does it only update the nav database or does it also update the nav S/W to all the current functions and interfaces associated with the upgrade version?

Besides a few firmware updates that are transparent, the overall system operation will not be changed. In other words, your RX 330 (GEN 4) operating system will not change to match the charachteristics of the ES 350 (GEN 5)