Dvd-audio In Mark Levinson

CAR: 2007 IS 350 with Mark Levinson Audio/NAV

I own four DVD-AUDIOs' :

1. Crystal Method- Legion of Boom

2. Seal- Best

3. Metallica- Black Album

4. Beatles- Love

All these titles are either Dolby Digital or DTS capable.

I will refer to these titles as discs 1,2,3,4 in the following:

Here is the problem:

Discs 1, 2 play in DTS or DOLBY digital. If it doesnt show up as default, all i have to do is either goto the top menu and choose the sound format as DTS or DOLBY (or) use the touchscreen and choose 'Audio' button and then change it to DTS or DOLBY digital.

.....But, Discs 3,4 start playing in stereo mode(PCM). When i goto the top menu, disc 2 has a surround playlist option, which if i choose still plays in stereo(PCM). I try the 'Audio' button in the touch screen and it shows me the 'no go' sign (red circle with \). Disc 4 doesnt have any such option in the top menu and it does the same when i try the 'Audio' button on the touchscreen.

Please help me with this problem. Does anyone own titles 3,4 and have played it successfully in 5.1 surround on the ML? Please Advice.

Thanks in advance for your help.

I own four DVD-AUDIOs' :

2. Seal- Best

4. Beatles- Love

Here is the problem:

Discs 1, 2 play in DTS or DOLBY digital. If it doesnt show up as default, all i have to do is either goto the top menu and choose the sound format as DTS or DOLBY (or) use the touchscreen and choose 'Audio' button and then change it to DTS or DOLBY digital.

.....But, Discs 3,4 start playing in stereo mode(PCM). When i goto the top menu, disc 2 has a surround playlist option, which if i choose still plays in stereo(PCM). I try the 'Audio' button in the touch screen and it shows me the 'no go' sign (red circle with \). Disc 4 doesnt have any such option in the top menu and it does the same when i try the 'Audio' button on the touchscreen.

Please help me with this problem. Does anyone own titles 3,4 and have played it successfully in 5.1 surround on the ML? Please Advice.

no responses yet!...people help!!

I own four DVD-AUDIOs' :

2. Seal- Best

4. Beatles- Love

Here is the problem:

Hello, I have had similar difficulties with different DVD-A discs.

I have to say that I do very much like the ML system but I do not believe that it is "fully" compatible with DVD-A. This is kind of a mute point as DVD-A it not mainstream yet if ever.

I am an audiophile / techno-snob from way back and have looked into DVD-A in great detail when it first hit the scene.

The DVD-A media (i.e disc) will be recognized by the ML system. However the ML website only states that MP3, WMA, PCM, Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1 data formats are compatible. This list excludes the DVD-A specific format of Meridian Lossless Packing (MLP) a.k.a Packed Pulse Code Modulation (PPCM)

Don't worry, I don't really know what that means either. I just know it is different from DVD-V formats.

http://www.marklevinsonlexus.com/overview.asp?model=is

Hence the typical DVD-V formats (DD & DTS) sound great but the high resolution DVD-A (PPCM) is hit or miss.

I have the Blue Man Group DVD-A but can only use the DD or DTS sound tracks. The PPCM sound track will play but the center channel is not audible and sometime I hear a cracking sound. Perhaps my radio is broke but I doubt it.

I also have an Emerson Lake & Palmer DVD-A which seems to play the PPCM sound track just fine???

Both discs are displayed as PPCM 96kHz. I believe this indicates that it is a surround sound format. I would like to find a DVD-A disc recorded in PPCM 192kHz. This is a high resolution stereo format and may play well in the ML system.

My 2 cents

• 1 month later...

I have 2007 IS350 with M/L system and navigation, and have the same problems with it.

- The Eagles Hell Freezes Over DTS CD : no bass

- 5.1 DVD-Audio :

Dire Straits Brothers in Arms and Elvis #1s : one channel is missing (not sure which one exactly, but definitely one is missing).

I have 2007 IS350 with M/L system and navigation, and have the same problems with it.

- 5.1 DVD-Audio :

Dire Straits Brothers in Arms and Elvis #1s : one channel is missing (not sure which one exactly, but definitely one is missing).

I have an Allman Brothers DTS CD. It is an old recording so I have not been able to tell if it plays well or not. It sounds like DTS CD's have issues too. I have the Eagles DTS DVD that plays just fine. The .1 bass track is played as it should. Strange that the CD and DVD would have different performance even though they are both DTS soundtracks.

Again, I have had no success playing a true DVD-Audio track. The DTS and/or DD tracks that are contained on a DVD-A disc for backward compatibility play well and sound great. However that's the best so far.

I own a few DVD-Videos of concerts, Eagles, Roger Waters, Grateful Dead, Alice In Chains, Pink Floyd, Phish etc...

If you like the music, then you will enjoy them on the M/L system. There aren't that many DVD-A discs to choose from anyway.

Regards,

- 5.1 DVD-Audio :

I have an Allman Brothers DTS CD. It is an old recording so I have not been able to tell if it plays well or not. It sounds like DTS CD's have issues too. I have the Eagles DTS DVD that plays just fine. The .1 bass track is played as it should. Strange that the CD and DVD would have different performance even though they are both DTS soundtracks.

Again, I have had no success playing a true DVD-Audio track. The DTS and/or DD tracks that are contained on a DVD-A disc for backward compatibility play well and sound great. However that's the best so far.

I own a few DVD-Videos of concerts, Eagles, Roger Waters, Grateful Dead, Alice In Chains, Pink Floyd, Phish etc...

If you like the music, then you will enjoy them on the M/L system. There aren't that many DVD-A discs to choose from anyway.

Regards,

Yes, that's exactly what is happening :-)

The Eagles Hell Freezes Over DTS DVD plays just fine, it's just the DTS CD that is missing the bass.

Don Henley The End of Innocence DTS CD plays fine.

>I have had no success playing a true DVD-Audio track

I feel a bit better knowing that it's not just my system that is defective :-) so I dont have to take it back to the dealer; such a hassle. I called Lexus, and the rep just told me to go to the local dealer.

But I guess if it's a compatibility issue, then I'll just accept it :-)

- 5.1 DVD-Audio :

Regards,

Yes, that's exactly what is happening :-)

The Eagles Hell Freezes Over DTS DVD plays just fine, it's just the DTS CD that is missing the bass.

Don Henley The End of Innocence DTS CD plays fine.

>I have had no success playing a true DVD-Audio track

I feel a bit better knowing that it's not just my system that is defective :-) so I dont have to take it back to the dealer; such a hassle. I called Lexus, and the rep just told me to go to the local dealer.

But I guess if it's a compatibility issue, then I'll just accept it :-)

Hey, glad to help. I just hope that my understanding is correct. The Lexus website omits the PPCM compatibility claim. Hence the dealer can't help. So we are left on our own to figure out which discs play well or not.

I would still like to find a DVD-A disc recorded in 192bit high resolution stereo to find out how it plays.

L8R

I would still like to find a DVD-A disc recorded in 192bit high resolution stereo to find out how it plays.

L8R

Hi. I'm new to the forum and am still waiting for my IS250. Next week, they tell me!!

I'm not sure if this helps or not, but have you tried Aix Records? I believe they claim true high resolution audio:

www.aixrecords.com

L8R

Hi. I'm new to the forum and am still waiting for my IS250. Next week, they tell me!!

I'm not sure if this helps or not, but have you tried Aix Records? I believe they claim true high resolution audio:

www.aixrecords.com

Hey, thanks. AIX seems to have a really cool DVD demo disc. I have an outdated DVD demo disc for fine tuning a home A/V system. I will check this out when I get some surfing time.

L8R

www.aixrecords.com

Hey, thanks. AIX seems to have a really cool DVD demo disc. I have an outdated DVD demo disc for fine tuning a home A/V system. I will check this out when I get some surfing time.

thanks for all the hep guys. conclusion: DVD-A formats...a gamble. anyone try out 'Santana: Supernatural'? really wanna get that, but want to make sure its not a waste of more money. thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 15 years later...

I just purchased a 2013 GS350, and looked forward to listening to the Levinson audio system. 

I only have one DVD audio disc of Classical music, Chabrier and Ravel on Japanese Erato. 

Originally, it would only play the disc when the car was in park, but after fiddling with the DVD audio settings, I am now able to drive with the disc playing. 

The information screen shrinks, and goes blue, and doesn't show the menu or picture of the disc, but who cares as long as it plays.